20 Gallon Glofish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaelaarnold

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had very bad luck with my tank so far, some of you probably know if you have been seeing my posts. Haha! Long story short, my boyfriend followed an uneducated petsmart employees advice and purchased a five gallon tank with four zebra danio glofish for me for Christmas. First, one of my smaller ones got killed, then the bully got killed. I purchased one more because I did not want it to be a one-on-one battle. Now last night my baby green one got killed and I'm down to two again. I will not be getting anymore until I get the right set up but I need some help to get it right this time.

I will be getting a 20 gallon long tank that my boyfriend had had for his turtle (he now has a 75, so no worries there). I have some questions about filters and stocking (I know there's many posts about stocking, but I really do not want to witness another blood bath :( )

I need a minimum of six zebra danios. Could the 20 long hold this? If so, could it hold a couple glofish tetras as well or would I be good with just the zebra danios?
I do have two mystery snails (about an inch to an inch and a half in diameter) and a small ghost shrimp. They seem to be thriving, growing at a steady pace and being very active at the bottom of the tank.
My filter is cycled as I have gotten my water levels under control. With a 20 gallon, should i stick to the 50% water changes twice a week? I have a tetra whisper filter. Should this work or are there better filters? This one is cycled and running great.

Any other advice for my situation would be helpful :) I'm hoping to sustain a happy ecosystem and do it the right way this time.

You're making a big leap forward!

If you're buying components separately, look into the Fluval/Aquaclear 30. It's a favorite here.

I'm pretty sure you're ok with 6 danios and additional fish. The glo tetras seem to be pretty sedate in a tank that size, people have mentioned, and the danios are crazy little things, so I'd personally go with more danios. They're really fun the more you get.

Aquadvisor can advise how many are ok in a 20.

Weekly 50% changes should be fine if it's fully cycled.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Alright that sounds good. and since they're the same species it would be alright to mix regular zebra danios with the Glofish versions, right?

I'm getting six danios, would I be able to get a couple of small species of Corey cat fish? Would four be okay?

I would go with all danios and get a silver molly for your centerpiece

Fishobsessed7

I looked silver Molly's up and they're gorgeous. Would the danios nip at their long-ish fins? Do they have to be in groups or would one suffice?

One would work.they may nip at the sailfin silvers but short-fins should be fine.

Fishobsessed7

Short-finImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422163348.763852.jpg

SailfinImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422163367.609694.jpg

Is definitely get shortfins. They're hardier and also smaller.

Fishobsessed7

I got the tank set up, some more zebra danios so there's a little less stress, and the filter going. Ready to start my fish-in cycling! I've read up about it and this is what I've concluded,
I will keep watch on the water quality like a hawk, doing daily large water changing at first for the first few weeks. Then when the ammonia and nitrites pan out, smaller and smaller water changes daily. I've read that fish in cycling takes long, but of course I already had the fish. I'm hoping this will be successful and I'll be able to add some bottom dwellers come the next couple months ☺️ thank you everyone for your help and advice. I'll be posting pictures of my work in progress tank today! The fish aren't fighting anymore and they're schooling like they should.
This page will be my journal for my new 20 gallon so I'll be posting updates and (most likely) questions as I go.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422279885.323735.jpg
here she is currently ☺️ I've looked at 20 gallons at the store, and this one looks slightly larger than a 20. I'm thinking it may be a 25 or 29 gallon. Might to measurements tonight to see! After I spent all my money to set her up yesterday, my moms taking my to buy me some more stuff for it. I've finally convinced her that fish keeping isn't ridiculous!?

View attachment 262341
here she is currently ☺️ I've looked at 20 gallons at the store, and this one looks slightly larger than a 20. I'm thinking it may be a 25 or 29 gallon. Might to measurements tonight to see! After I spent all my money to set her up yesterday, my moms taking my to buy me some more stuff for it. I've finally convinced her that fish keeping isn't ridiculous!��

That looks really good!! I love how the mirror is behind it!
Very nice, and tell your mom another mom said high-5, you could be wanting to do something a lot worse with your time :)

The short fin is a female. Are you sure it isn't a sailfin female?

often the males are the ones with the sail fins but females can have less pronounced sails. The sail fin variety actually do much better in low grade saltwater as with most mollies but they seem to tolerate pure freshwater a little less than most mollies.

Back
Top Bottom