20 gallon ideas? Gourami's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delyla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm trying to dicide what to put in my 20 gal tank. I was thinking a blue gourami, and a Gold gourami.
maybe even a kissing gourami if it isnt too crowded.

would that be too crowded? what other fish go well with blue and gold gourami's?

Is a 20 gal tank big enough for a rubber lip plectomos? Please share any ideas or knowledge you may have.

I know the Gourami's can get quite large. I have several kissing gourami's in my 120 gallon tank and they do not look out of place. IMO you should look at dwarf gourami for that size tank. They can be very colorful and are quite active.

Pleco's can grow to be very large. Not 100% sure about the rubber lip one but they in general get pretty large.

I think the kissing gourami would be a bit to large since they can grow to 6-12 inches. Those other two can get quite large too, 5-6". Plecos can be quite the waste factory and rubberlips can grow to about 6" as well. Maybe look at a Bristlenose pleco for your tank. If your wanting the pleco for an algae eater, just so you know, otocinclus are way better at eating algae but you'd need to wait until you have a good supply before you would get any. I agree with thuffman, look into some Dwarf gouramis. HTH

With a 20 you can go with dwarf gouarmis and be ok but id stay away from the kissing as they'll get big. You could also look into getting female bettas and make it a sorority tank. I would stay away from plecos in a 20 as they get too big and if you have a problem with algae find the source first. You could get some otos just for fun though. I have 4 in my 20l

Don't mix bettas and gouramis though. That's just asking for trouble. A rubberlip pleco or bristlenose pleco would be ok in a 20g. They stay small. Plecos are messy, so you couldn't add as many fish as with otos.

A single Dwarf Gourami, a single Honey Gourami, or a trio of Sparkling Gouramis would be good for a 20g, along with other small fish.

Otos are good bottom feeders/algae eaters...make sure you supplement their feedings with algae wafers and bottom feeder/catfish pellets. They like company, so try to get atleast 3 of them if you can.

Make sure your aquarium is cycled before you add fish (usually takes about a month) and please do a fishless cycle if you are just getting your tank started. :)

A single Dwarf Gourami, a single Honey Gourami, or a trio of Sparkling Gouramis would be good for a 20g, along with other small fish.

Otos are good bottom feeders/algae eaters...make sure you supplement their feedings with algae wafers and bottom feeder/catfish pellets. They like company, so try to get atleast 3 of them if you can.

Make sure your aquarium is cycled before you add fish (usually takes about a month) and please do a fishless cycle if you are just getting your tank started. :)

+1, great advice JOM :D (y)

Back
Top Bottom