20 Gallon Low Light Tank Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: Did 25% water change to reduce ammonia and nitrite levels. Also to restore pH levels. Checking tomorrow the levels again to see if they are readable.
Plant guy told me by Friday he will ship them out because it will be much hotter.

Parameters:
Ammonia: 1ppm (low need to dose)
Nitrites: 5ppm
pH: 6.6
Ammonia too low redose back up. Testing in a couple of hours. pH not going back to normal reading of 7.0.

ForumRunner_20130124_123821.jpg

ForumRunner_20130124_123833.jpg

I'm following! Just started my cycle couple days ago ! Learning from your thread! I overdosed ammonia too and panicked til i saw your thread !

I'm following! Just started my cycle couple days ago ! Learning from your thread! I overdosed ammonia too and panicked til i saw your thread !

I'm glad I am not the only one learning from my mistakes! Have fun and be very patient.
I am following the fishless cycling stickie. Are you?

Update: Yay! I received my cholla wood shipment today! I even got a free piece! Paid $7.00 with free shipping. Got it in three days.

ForumRunner_20130125_090438.jpg

Parameter Update:
Temp: 79°F
Ammonia: 1ppm (Dosed back up)
Nitrates: 5ppm(looks bet. 5&10)
pH: 6.6 (Its not budging)
ForumRunner_20130125_095040.jpg

Finally decided on my plant layout!!
ForumRunner_20130126_062633.jpg
The key to the plants:
ForumRunner_20130126_062721.jpg
January 25, 2013 Parameters:Ammonia: 1ppm (need 2 dose up)
Nitrates: 5ppm
ForumRunner_20130126_062134.jpg
After Dosing-Ammonia 4ppm
ForumRunner_20130126_062250.jpg

Finally decided on my plant layout!!

The key to the plants:

January 25, 2013 Parameters:Ammonia: 1ppm (need 2 dose up)
Nitrates: 5ppm

After Dosing-Ammonia 4ppm

I enjoy doing layouts; I must have sketched out 4-5 versions before I settled on one. However, the size of the plants you expect to get and what you actually get could be very different and your layout might require changes on the fly. In my case the plants were much bigger than expected. Some plants would not stay rooted so I left them floating on the surface while I am thinking of what to do with them (root development is going well for them; you always wonder whats going on down there). I planned on filling 80-90% of the available substrate surface (aside from DW) and that did not leave much room for any extras. Good luck!

I enjoy doing layouts; I must have sketched out 4-5 versions before I settled on one. However, the size of the plants you expect to get and what you actually get could be very different and your layout might require changes on the fly. In my case the plants were much bigger than expected. Some plants would not stay rooted so I left them floating on the surface while I am thinking of what to do with them (root development is going well for them; you always wonder whats going on down there). I planned on filling 80-90% of the available substrate surface (aside from DW) and that did not leave much room for any extras. Good luck!
Thanks Fresh2O! I ordered 1 of each plant. Now that you mentioned it, the layout looks bigger than the tank!
UPDATE: Oh crap! My pH is too low!
Current Parameters:
Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrates: 10ppm
pH: 6.4 (TOO LOW)
WATER CHANGE ASAP!
ForumRunner_20130126_115549.jpg

Thanks Fresh2O! I ordered 1 of each plant. Now that you mentioned it, the layout looks bigger than the tank!
UPDATE: Oh crap! My pH is too low!
Current Parameters:
Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrates: 10ppm
pH: 6.4 (TOO LOW)
WATER CHANGE ASAP!

Hope that water change brings your pH back up! Good thing you caught it!

Back
Top Bottom