20 Gallon Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is what I'm thinking of going with now. Feedback is most wanted and invited, so keep it coming (I like this lineup MUCH more than what I started with, thank you all for your participation).

10 - Celestial Pearl Danio (love these, I consider these a must)

8 - Forktail Blue Eye Rainbowfish (I really like these but are larger than I was shooting for 1" - 1.5" and these can get to 2" so not bad and certainly doable) I guess my biggest concern with these is they are labeled as difficult and aggressive. Anyone want to help elaborate on the care of these?

10 - Rili Shrimp - Blue (definitely want shrimp, I've heard good things about Neo's and Rili specifically) Looks like an easy shrimp to tend after and look fantastic.

1 - Otocinclus (once the tank is established)

I've also listed these in the order I intend on introducing them to the tank. From what I can gather the Rili and Oto both need established tanks. And from what I can tell that is defined by a tank that has been cycled and running for about 6 months. Does that sound about right?

Sounds like a great list!

I've had my forktails for a while now and have never seen them show any sort of aggressive behavior.

Theresa, yeah you have yours with CPDs as well, don't you? I just love those fish (both of them) I think they'll look really good together, just want to make sure it's a good mix.

I just love the feedback in this thread. I'm very excited to see what my tank looks like this time next year.

Oh hey, where is a good place to purchase fish? I don't have anything respectable close by that I'm aware of (southern CA). I've been looking at AlphaProBreeders but they don't have the Forktails, any suggestions? I have found them at Gunpowder Aquatics but I don't know if that's the best option or not (same with APB for that matter).

Ok, I feel like this is a stupid question. But what if I were to add a trio of guppies to that list?

10 - Celestial Pearl Danio
8 - Forktail Blue Eye Rainbowfish
3 - Fancy Guppies (1 male 2 female, show quality)
10 - Rili Shrimp - Blue
1 - Otocinclus

Ok, I feel like this is a stupid question. But what if I were to add a trio of guppies to that list?

10 - Celestial Pearl Danio
8 - Forktail Blue Eye Rainbowfish
3 - Fancy Guppies (1 male 2 female, show quality)
10 - Rili Shrimp - Blue
1 - Otocinclus

One thing to note is that all fish outside of otos will definitely go after shrimp juvies, so make sure the shrimp have lots of cover, such as moss. The adults should be safe but you may not see prolific breeding. For that reason I'd also skip the guppies, as they'd be the most aggressive in snacking on the shrimps. Because shrimp in community tanks sometimes don't work as well as we plan, that is one big reason why it's often recommended to start off with a cheaper grade shrimp like RCS. But if you can find a good deal on rilis I say go for it, they're awesome looking little guys and relatively easy to take care of.

Dwarf rainbows are known sometimes for being jumpers so a glass lid or floating plants might be recommended. They color up a little better with some shade too. I prefer all of my tanks to be open tops so in my pseudomugil gertrudae tank I kept a small layer of frogbit at the top, paying attention not to allow it to overtake the surface and take away light from my plants.

Otos do best in groups so I'd look to get 3-5. They'll get the majority of their food grazing on algae and biofilm (hence their need for mature tanks) so the more plants the better (more surface area). Some people have success feeding them blanched veggies (such as zucchini) and I've had a lot of success feeding them Repashy gel foods such as Soilent Green. Currently I keep 5 in my planted 29g, but I wouldn't go higher than that in fear that they may not get enough food.

I'd highly recommend a few amano shrimp if you can find them.

In regards to buying online I'd recommend the following:

Invertebrates by Msjinkzd | Specializing in invertebrates and micro fish from around the world.
AquaBid.com - Sell or buy aquarium equipment and fish in an auction format
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com

Good luck! (y)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. The price of the Rili doesn't bother me. I just want to make sure to supply a good environment for them. I plan on having a ton of cover for them and their little ones.

Guppies... Off the list. Definitely can't have everything in there, I'm cool with that. Kinda figured as much.

And the rainbow jumping. I also prefer an open top. So I will get some frogbit and see if that does the trick.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Dwarf water lettuce is nice too. I've had a lot of luck with floating Brazilian pennywort, the shrimp like to hang out in it as well.

Thanks for the tips. The price of the Rili doesn't bother me. I just want to make sure to supply a good environment for them. I plan on having a ton of cover for them and their little ones.

Guppies... Off the list. Definitely can't have everything in there, I'm cool with that. Kinda figured as much.

And the rainbow jumping. I also prefer an open top. So I will get some frogbit and see if that does the trick.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Since you're in CA you might want to check Bob's Tropical Plants. I've gotten quite a few of my shrimp from him as well as some of my CPDs.

Oh, I love this... thanks for the local shop hookup. It's difficult to find a good shop with all the "other" shops out there.

Well, I'm across the country and have ordered from him a few times over the winter with very few problems. I've purchased plants from Bob's as well, forgot about that.

Banana plants are cool. They won't provide much cover for shrimp, but they sure are strange.

I'm pretty sure the leaves shoot up to the surface and act like lily pads. Mine hasn't yest but the leaves are sure getting taller.

I've been asked what lighting am I using and I didn't have a good answer at that time. Well, I researched what I've got and here it is.

I'm using a 20 gallon tank but I don't know exactly what it is other than it's made by Aqua Japan

Have in my setup:
Tank
Aqua Japan AJ-75 (20 Gallon rimless, rounded corners)

Lighting
ARCHAEA ULTRA-GRO AQUATIC PLANT LED (FOR 60CM TANK)

ARCHAEA Ultra-Gro PG Series Lighting System is the newest LED line up that uses QUAD Chips (W,R,G,B) LED technology specifically designed for growing aquatic plants, which generates multi spectrum and simulates the natural sunlight. As a result of combining with the 7000k color temperature and ideal PAR(photosynthetic Available Radiation) rating, all aquatics plants (includes red stem plants and ground cover that demand high output lighting) thrives, and produces lush bright color through optimum photosynthesis process.
While, the new Archaea Ultra-Gro PG series LED light fixture is brighter with increased power output, and offers more light coverage due to wider body frame, it still maintains a light weight, low profile design and being very power efficient just like the Archaea SLIM-PRO series.
Now, the mounting legs are not only adjustable for adapting various aquarium sizes, is also can be flip upward at 120 degree angle for easy access and maintenance.

Lighting Specifications

• Quantity of LED Lamps: 14pcs
  • Color temperature: 7000k
  • Luminous intensity: 100~150 LM per LED
  • Total Power per fixture: 28W
  • Power per LED lamp: 2W
  • Input Power: AC100V-240V
  • Output Power: DC 20V
  • Power cord total length:8.5 ft
  • Light Housing Dimension: (L 24"xW 4-1/2"xH 7/8")

CO2
ARCHAEA CO2 REGULATOR (PRO) SINGLE GAUGE (FITS PAINTBALL TANK)

A compact, stylish CO2 regulator with electronic solenoid for use with standard Paint ball cylinder. It features an innovative "Tool-Free" self locking mechanism, which utilizes the CO2 pressure to screw lock the regulator on the Standard CO2 cylinder. With this new design, you can hand tighten the regulator to the CO2 tank without an Adjustable Wrench.

ADA POLLEN GLASS MINI (CO2)
Pollen Glass is a CO2 distributor, which virtually pollinates the entire aquarium with tiny carbon dioxide bubbles. Pollen Glass is hand made from high quality Japanese glass. Its form is designed for use in a standard size 60cm aquarium (approx 20 Gallon) or under.

ADA CABOCHON RUBY
Once CO2 supply is stopped, aquarium water often flows backward into the silicon tube toward the regulator. If water enters regulator, it may cause serious damage. In order to avoid accidents, be sure to use a no-return valve. A standard plastic no-return valve, loses its function due to wear and tear of its internal bladder, however the all glass, handmade Cabochon Ruby can be used indefinitely, and makes an elegant addition to your aquarium.

ADA CO2 GLASS BUBBLE COUNTER
CO2 Glass Counter is designed for measuring the amount of CO2 supply employing the simple yet accurate bubble counting method. It can measure up to 4 to 5 bubbles per second and it's hand made, all glass, simple design, matches to the aquarium. Glass Counter is crucial to the minute adjustment of CO2 supply.

ADA Drop Checker
For monitoring proper dosage of CO2. Depending upon aquatic plants and their growth conditions, the amount of CO2 required changes dramatically. Drop Checker is an original glassware unit, designed to indicate the CO2 amount diluted within the water with color change of the pH reagent inside, in order to understand the proper amount of CO2 supply. You can easily judge the proper CO2 supply by comparing the color of reagent with pH color test card.

Substrate
ADA POWER SAND SPECIAL-M (6 LITERS)
Power Sand Special is the base substrate material with additional organic nutrients. Bacter 100 and Clear Super are blended for promoting the growth of bacteria. It is excellent for the plants actively absorbing nutrients from the roots, such as Cryptocoryne and easy to maintain for a long time. Please select right size, S, M, L according to the depth of tank.

ADA AQUA SOIL - AMAZONIA (9 LITERS) - NORMAL
Designed to reproduce the image of Amazon, create an aquascape depicting the fertile South American rainforest with the dynamic alternation of rainy and dry seasons. Normal and Powder Type available. AQUA SOIL SERIES A high pH level (alkaline) of the substrate causes difficulties for aquatic plants in consuming nutrients. The Aqua Soil Series decreases the hardness of the water and lowers the PH level to the degree at which most aquatic plants can consume nutrients and comfortably grow. Aqua Soil granules maintain their shape and density for long periods underwater securing good circulation of water and oxygen through the substrate. With Aqua Soil, growing difficult plants such as Tonina sp. becomes easier, and it is ideal for fishes demanding soft water.

• Completely new substrate made from specially processed natural material from the earth.
  • Colloid particles capture dirt floating in the water, without any chemical treatment.
  • Gives clarity to the water and creates conditions ideal for healthy growth of aquatic plants.
  • Helps to lower the hardness level of the water.
  • Helps to bring the pH level of the water down to an ideal level for most of the aquatic plants.
  • Composed of granules of size and density ideal for the fast development of healthy plant root systems, rather conventional substrates such as sand.
  • Granules maintain their shape for a long period in water, holding air between them, which is vital for the long time maintenance of a planted aquarium.
  • Used with Power Sand stimulates the fast colonization of bacteria in the substrate and creates perfect conditions for plant root systems.
  • Most desirable pH level for most aquatic plants(ph 5.5 - 6.5) to develop their root systems.

I've also been asked about my plants. I still need a little help with identifying what I've got. However, I ordered more plants and here is a list of what I ordered.

Bolbitis heudeloti
Creeping Charlie - Micromeria Brownei
Fissidens Noblis moss
Pennywort
Rotalla
Salvinia
Subwassertang Moss
Water Sprite

If everything does well, GREAT. I expect some of these won't and I'll pull them out. I had one type of plant (the mystery plant) that disintegrated. Every one of them everywhere in the tank completely melted to nothing in just a couple days. Other than that I've had no real problems with the plants, just looks like I could fit more and if they do well, they'll add to the tank.

I also updated my fish list. I'm hoping this isn't too much for the tank but I think it'll be about right.

9 Celestial Pearl Danio
9 Forktail Blue Eye Rainbow
8 Pacific Blue Eye Rainbow
10 Rili Shrimp (Blue)
5 Otocinclus Catfish

I figure I will be keeping an eye on the water quality of the tank and only add if I think it can handle it. I also chose fish that I think will have a lower bio-load (anything to help calculate bio-load?). And am choosing quantities that should help build a healthy school, although on the minimum side.

I also just ordered some active sponge filters from AngelsPlus.com to help kickstart my tank. I'm still quite patient to get things going, so I don't mind waiting to ensure everything is stable. However, if this does help kick up my BB then that's good. I saw this recommended by quite a few people on these forums, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Sounds good! Where are you getting your fish from? I like the idea of 2 rainbows (y)

I will be getting my fish from AlphaProBreeders.com. They don't have the Forktail though so I am planning on getting that from Gunpowder Aquatics unless I can find a place I like better. APB looks really solid, that's where I ordered my plants from last night. The feedback he's got on his site is amazing, looks like he really takes care in his work.

The Oto I was planning on grabbing from LiveAquaria.com. I guess those aren't really bred in captivity, so a place like LiveAquaria is probably as good as any.

Aside from the shipping, the fish and shrimp will run about $225. I think that's pretty reasonable.

I'm excited about the idea of 2 rainbows as well. Both of them look amazing.

I've ordered from APB a few times, the trio of cherry barbs I got is absolutely gorgeous!

I just ordered my Forktails from Wetspot, really looking forward to having a large group.

Could you let me know what you think about your Forktails when you get them? I saw that site and it isn't as inviting to shop. However, it has been recommended by a couple people so I am curious what you think. I'm definitely more interested in impressive fish than I am finding the best deal (if that makes any sense).

Back
Top Bottom