20 Gallon Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelCouch

Aquarium Advice Regular
Obviously, I am new to the hobby. I can handle a beating so feel free to give productive advice as you see fit.

I have been researching as best I can while my tank is cycling (fishless). I have a 20 gallon planted tank. I've got ADA Super Sand and ADA Soil for substrate. I am using CO2 and have just started monitoring the water with the Seneye system. So, as time goes on I will be able to give complete details on water conditions (kind of excited about this, looking forward to watching the tank cycle).

I have a list of fish and was told (by LFS) that this would be an acceptable list and load for my tank. I figure I'll be adding a few at a time and can skip out the last batch or two if needed. My goal was to pick small fish to begin with. I kinda figure a small tank is going to look much better with small fish.

Here's the list:

6 - Red Crystal Shrimp (Like color contrast of these )
6 - Scarlet Gem Badis
8 - Celestial Pearl Danio (Love these, will change lineup as needed to keep these)
6 - Golden Wonder Killfish

First, I want to make sure that this bio-load is reasonable for this tank.

Second, I want to make sure that the "cleanup crew" is adequate. I'm not finding much information on this topic, so I'm not sure what is needed (or, is anything really needed in this regard?).

I am in no hurry to get fish in the tank. Nor am I in a hurry to get it fully stocked.

Feel free to link me to resources to better educate me. I am continuously on search for knowledge.

Thanks in advance for your time in helping me better understand how to get this tank started.

I'd skip the golden wonder killies as they'll eat everything in your tank. A nice top dwelling alternative is pseudomugil gertrudae. Scarlet badis' can sometimes be territorial and tricky to feed, just a heads up. You could easily bump your CPD count to 15-20 or look into another small group of micro fish (chili rasboras, ember tetras, pygmy cories are nice options) without worry of overstocking your tank. No reason really for a CUC although otos and Amano shrimp are always welcome additions to planted tanks for basic algae grazing.

Last edited:
Thank you, Azmodan, for the reply. I'm good to go with everything you've mentioned. I do have some questions, however, and am hoping you can shed some light.

The Killfish (generally all of them that I've looked in to) are labeled as peaceful fish and suggested that they are perfect additions to a community aquarium (information gathered from liveaquarium.com). What are you basing your findings on? I'm just trying to learn a bit here, not trying to challenge your experiences. Because let's be honest...

Your suggestion for the pseudomugil gertrudae was awesome! Thanks for that, I will be taking a closer look at this species.

I like your other suggestions as well (chili rasboras, ember tetras & pygmy cories).

I have a question regarding the shrimp. I really like shrimp and would like to have some really nice ones in my setup. I also don't want to skip out on something that is needed. I was doing more looking around last night and found the Rili Shrimp (they are blue and red). So, my question is, should I do the Amano in addition to the Rili, or would the Rili do the same job?

You also suggested the oto. Am I right to assume you were referring to the Otocinclus Catfish? Sorry, just making sure. My research (liveaquarium.com again) of that species suggested a tank size of 30 gallons so I didn't consider it. You're thinking it will be ok in a smaller tank? That will also be about the biggest fish in the tank (if I'm not mistaken).

In summary, ditch everything but the CPD and build your list again (but backed up with some very good options, thanks again).

I'm good with this, thank you very much for the feedback. I welcome any additional feedback (from you or anyone else that wants to jump in).

Love my CPDs, great choice!

Rili shrimp (and other neos) are easier to care for than crystal reds.

You can have otos in a 20g. They do best in an established tank with lots of algae though.

I keep P. furcatus with my CPDs, along with 2 sparkling gouramis and a trio of cherry barbs. Nice mix of colors. Same tank also has pygmy and habrosus cories.

Just got a few pygmy rasboras (different tank). Very pretty color once settled in.

Sorry, I have no personal experience with killifish (yet!)

Thank you very much, Theresa, for joining in.

I am very much looking forward to the CPDs. I really liked them from the pictures and once I saw them in person I was sold.

Thank you for the suggestion of the Forktail Blue-eye (I'm assuming that's the one you were referring to?). Those are very pretty fish. I'd imagine your tank looks fantastic with the fish you've shared with here.

You mentioned just getting some pigmy Rasboras, is there a particular type that you got?

Thank you again for your feedback. This is all really helping me put things together. I keep learning about new fish!

Golden wonder killies grow to 5-6 inches long. Everything else in that set up grows to 1 inch long. Not to mention the golden wonder killie's huge mouth.......

A good stock would be:

6 crystal shrimp
15 celestial pearl danios
4 scarlet badis
8 furcata rainbowfish

Or if you really want killifish you could look into gardnerie killies. I have a pair and they're great.

Thank you, Pseudomugil, for the reply.

I don't have my heart set on the killies. I also didn't realize they got that big (their size isn't listed on liveaquarium.com). I'm definitely shooting to keep the fish below the 2 inch mark.

I like your proposed combination of fish. I think that would look really nice. Although I believe I will be swapping out the crystal shrimp with some form of the Rili shrimp. Otherwise, so far I'm liking that lineup you listed.

Anyone know a good breeder or suggested place to purchase the Furcata Rainbowfish (I'm in the US - California)? I'm having a hard time finding them.

Thank you very much, Theresa, for joining in.

I am very much looking forward to the CPDs. I really liked them from the pictures and once I saw them in person I was sold.

Thank you for the suggestion of the Forktail Blue-eye (I'm assuming that's the one you were referring to?). Those are very pretty fish. I'd imagine your tank looks fantastic with the fish you've shared with here.

You mentioned just getting some pigmy Rasboras, is there a particular type that you got?

Thank you again for your feedback. This is all really helping me put things together. I keep learning about new fish!

I have B maculatus.

I like your proposed combination of fish. I think that would look really nice. Although I believe I will be swapping out the crystal shrimp with some form of the Rili shrimp. Otherwise, so far I'm liking that lineup you listed.

I would definitely suggest some sort of Neo shrimp over the crystals if you've never kept shrimp before. Lots of different color varieties to choose from.

Some of my red rili:

img_3162154_0_1a8d79d8124cfeed92982b2b3924c735.jpg

Blue rili with eggs:

img_3162154_1_a71e4a4479bd9b3fb43f8786144fc42c.jpg

You guys are so awesome!!! Thanks so much for all the feedback. This has really turned in to a nice discussion.

I have decided to skip the crystal shrimp (I hadn't really seen any of the other options when I posted that). Now I'm more interested in the Rili (and there are plenty of options).

As for the fish, I will be putting together a revised list of fish and post what I come up with and see what you guys think.

By all means, keep the knowledge flowing. I've still got at least a month before I start putting fish in, so I got plenty of time to learn about my options. :)

Theresa, I'm curious, the P. furcatus seems to require a higher temperature range than the CPD. P. furcatus 75-82 versus CPD 73-79. While there is definitely some overlap, I don't know how much this plays a part. I'm guessing that if I kept my tank at 77 then we'd be happy little campers all around. Is that right, or should I look for fish that are closer in requirements?

Same thing with the PH 7.0-8.0 vs 6.5-7.5. I'm guessing this is ok as well, since there is plenty of overlap. I'll just need to maintain a tank at 7.0-7.5. Does that sound reasonable?

Lastly, assuming that my assumptions are correct above, does it make managing the tank harder since I have a smaller target to hit with water conditions? Or is that not really a big deal to worry about?

Thanks again for the help and insight, I really appreciate it.

Theresa, I'm curious, the P. furcatus seems to require a higher temperature range than the CPD. P. furcatus 75-82 versus CPD 73-79. While there is definitely some overlap, I don't know how much this plays a part. I'm guessing that if I kept my tank at 77 then we'd be happy little campers all around. Is that right, or should I look for fish that are closer in requirements?

Same thing with the PH 7.0-8.0 vs 6.5-7.5. I'm guessing this is ok as well, since there is plenty of overlap. I'll just need to maintain a tank at 7.0-7.5. Does that sound reasonable?

Lastly, assuming that my assumptions are correct above, does it make managing the tank harder since I have a smaller target to hit with water conditions? Or is that not really a big deal to worry about?

Thanks again for the help and insight, I really appreciate it.

No problem. Stocking threads are great when the OP is actually doing research and taking his/her time.

My CPD/furcata tank is 7.5 and water temp just over 77. Very active, colorful, happy fish :)

I wouldn't worry enormously about the ph, plus the aquasoil will buffer it. Just out of curiosity what are you doing plant-wise?

Sent from my iPad using science

Very good question. I bought a bunch of plants and had the guy at the shop pick out what he thought would be a good choice for me to start with. As for the names of them... well I will have to do some research to figure that out. So, unfortunately, I don't have a direct answer for you on that. I can take and post pictures though.

Very good question. I bought a bunch of plants and had the guy at the shop pick out what he thought would be a good choice for me to start with. As for the names of them... well I will have to do some research to figure that out. So, unfortunately, I don't have a direct answer for you on that. I can take and post pictures though.

Definitely post pictures, lots of folks to here that can help with identifying them.

Yup, if you're using ADA aquasoil and running co2 for the first time definitely don't be shy with the questions! What sort of lighting do you have? It sounds like you'll have some great options for plants.

Here is a picture of my tank in its current state. Plant identification would be great. I also notice algae growing and other things, so feel free to comment on anything you see.

Attachments

• Tank-Plants.jpg
    Tank-Plants.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 105
I have more pics and can post them as needed. I just didn't want to clutter everything up, so if you see a plant you want a different angle on just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom