20 Galloon Start Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I cycled my new 20 Gal tank from and I have decided to make it planted. I have a long list of the plants I want and how easy they are to maintain. If anyone has a few tips on planted tanks that they'd be willing to share I'd be eager to hear.

GuppyLover

Good choice! The type of plants you are able to get depends hugely upon your lighting. What sort of light do you have on your tank?

+1
Generally speaking though, you want lights that provide a good spectrum of light, often referred to in K, a tube that produces around 6700K is a good start.

The lower the K rating, the more yellow/red the light produced will be. The higher the number, the more blue/purple the light will appear.

I have 6700K and 18000K tubes over my medium light tank. Which pretty much gives a full spectrum of light to my plants.

Also the wattage is important too, For good successful plant growth it is recommended to use 2-3 watts per gallon

Tyler

I agree with the light advice.

If you want to start out with the bulb that came with the tank before investing in new lights, substrate etc., select lowlight plants to begin with.

What is your wish list?

Back
Top Bottom