20 UK Gallon Stocking :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rams are supposed to need an established tank with pretty constant water parameters and low nitrates.

I bought my first pair of rams a couple weeks ago for my 40B. Here's my experience so far: I saw the rams on Saturday and fought with myself about buying them until Monday. $26 for two fish is a lot of money for me, but they looked like really nice stock. Besides, I wasn't sure they'd get along with the betta in the tank.

Here's some info on my tank:

40B fishless cycled and set up for a few months
AC110 filter
Hydor 300W heater set at ~78

Anacharis, jungle vals, water sprite, and java fern

5 harlequin rasboras
3 praecox rainbows
1 male betta
1 pictus cat
1 raphael cat

0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
5-10ppm nitrate

weekly 25% PWCs

I drip acclimated the rams for nearly an hour while I shoveled some snow. After I added the fish to the tank, I fed them some flakes to make sure they were eating. The rams didn't attack the flakes like the other fish did, but they did eat well.

It's been nearly two weeks now and the rams are doing great. They survived the tank temperature dropping to 64 because the outlet the heater was plugged into went bad. The betta doesn't give the rams a second glance, which I'm very happy about. I'm pretty sure I got a male and female and I'm hoping they'll breed. They're quickly becoming some of my favorite fish. My wife has named them Spike and Julia.

Spike shows off a lot, flashing his fins. He bumps Julia in the side with his nose and they do a little dance. Nose to nose, Julia swims backwards while Spike swims forwards. They're really interesting to watch. The rams just seem more intelligent and aware than most fish.

Long story short: If you're good about keeping pristine water quality and you're willing to spend the money to get some good stock, give GBRs a try. They make excellent centerpiece fish.

I have often heard that rams were very sensitive as well, its a big reason why I shyed away from them for as long as I did, but I picked up 6 german gold long fin rams for my 69 gallon, and 6 electric blue rams for my 40 gallon, QT them for a few months and threw them in with my angels and cories and they have been doing great. There may be truth to it, but I wonder if its as bad as some make it out to be? I have mine in a planted tank setup with no special water conditions (PH 7.6 GH5, KH3, ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrates usually get up to around 15-20 before I do my weekly water change, I think the PH could be lower but they are happy and from my understanding you should be more concerned with the GH/KH than the PH.

Either way they are beautiful fish, I guess it depends on how strict your going to be with your maintenance schedule :p but one thing I always find to help when stocking a tank is you want action on all levels, bottom, middle and upper columns, it seems like your well on your way.

okay thanks guys. I think I'll stick to what I have and maybe add the rams if all goes well

10 x WCMM
6 x Albino Cories
5 x Red Cherry Shrimp
3 x Nerite Snails
2 x Male Endlers
1 x Male Betta

Thanks for all your help guys!

I've just thought! One of the white clouds I already have is the longfin variety. Will he be okay with the betta? Also will golden white clouds school with regular ones? :)

Back
Top Bottom