20 UK Gallon Stocking :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's the situation; I'm getting a twenty gallon tank for my birthday along with a stand, hood, light, heater and aquaclear50 filter. However I'm not sure if the fish/inverts I want are ok for this size or compatible with eachother. Here's what i ideally would like (this is flexible though!)

8 x White Cloud Mountain Minnows (already have two in 2.5 gal)
5 x Albino Corydoras
2 x Male Endler's LB (already have both in 2.5 gal)
5 x Red Cherry Shrimp
1 x Apple Snail

Please help :)

Looks great to me, good job on the stocking. Mountain minnows are cold water, the corys are warm, but you can go in between and make it work for both from my understanding, a temp of about 72 would be great. You even have some space left in your tank for a bit more if you wanted, with the filter and tank your probably only around 50-75% capacity, shrimp have hardly any bioload, so you could always throw a bunch more of those and the mountain minnows in.

Looks like a good mix to me also. Aim for a tank temp in the low to mid 70s and you'll be fine. I might pick up a few more shrimp to start so they'll establish a breeding colony.

Would I be able to have another small school? If so, which ones? Thanks for confirming this for me. :)
Deep seven, I already checked that out but didn't know if it was reliable. Thanks though:)

A school of small tetras would be ok. Cardinals, glowlites, or some variety of neons would be good. Small rasboras would be ok too.

6 white clouds
6 black neons
5 albino/julii corys
8 cherry shrimp.
decided agiainst the apple snail. Would all this be okay? :D

That looks like a wonderful stocking list. Just make sure to cycle the tank before adding fish. If you haven't done so already, read up on fishless cycling and the nitrogen cycle here on AA.

Thanks BigJim! I was wondering if I could add a betta? Worried about fin nipping though.

I think I'm gonna go for,
8 WCMM
8 Harlequin Rasboras
5 Albino / Julii Corydoras
8 Red Cherry Shrimp
2 Male Endlers Livebearers.

Thanks for all your help BigJim, much appreciated! :)

Bettas can be hit or miss in community tanks. I've had several with many different fish and haven't had any problems. Other people have had bettas that go homicidal in their tanks. You could try it, but there's no guarantee a betta will get along with your other fish.

Unless you have some dense plant cover, your shrimp might end up as lunch for a betta and maybe the rasboras. I keep RCS with guppies and cories and I'm sure I lose shrimplets to the guppies. I started with 20 shrimp and they were able to establish a growing breeding colony, even with the losses to the fish. I do have a lot of dense java moss and water sprite in the tank though.

A fantail goldfish really needs that tank all to itself with a good filter to keep tank conditions habitable. General rule of thumb is 30 US gallons for the first fancy goldfish and 10 additional US gallons for each additional fancy goldfish. Common goldfish need even larger tanks.

Hmm.. ok. What would be ideal is a school of white clouds and a school of corys and a group of shrimp. As well as 1 or 2 centrepiece low maintenace fish. That's why I suggested the fantail. Any ideas on the centrepiece? Do I have enough room for one? Two?

Thanks, Daniel :)

8 WCMM
5 Albino / Julii Corydoras
2-3 Red Cherry Shrimp
1 Betta

Try starting with this group. If the betta doesn't bother the shrimp or the white clouds, add some more shrimp. If the betta appears peaceful, you can add a school of tetras or rasboras. I've never had trouble with bettas in community tanks, even with other flashy fish, but others here definitely have.

Currently I have a pair of bettas in a 29g with five-band barbs, cherry barbs, and khulis and a male betta in a 40B with a pair of rams, harlequin rasboras, Praecox rainbows, and some larger catfish.

A ram is another option as a centerpiece fish, but they're a bit pricey and sensitive to water quality. I think they'd be a bigger threat to shrimp than a betta would.

Try adding the betta last. That way the other fish have time to get comfortable first in case the betta wants to establish his territory.

Hmm.. ok. What would be ideal is a school of white clouds and a school of corys and a group of shrimp. As well as 1 or 2 centrepiece low maintenace fish. That's why I suggested the fantail. Any ideas on the centrepiece? Do I have enough room for one? Two?

Thanks, Daniel :)

You should look into rams, german blue rams, electric blue rams and yellow rams (my favorites) beautiful fish, and will be lower in the water column giving you action on all levels. If you want your shrimp to breed however you will need some moss or something for the shrimplets to hide in or they will get eaten.

You should look into rams, german blue rams, electric blue rams and yellow rams (my favorites) beautiful fish, and will be lower in the water column giving you action on all levels. If you want your shrimp to breed however you will need some moss or something for the shrimplets to hide in or they will get eaten.

I will get some moss balls. Do they need specific conditions?
I've heard rams ar quite sensitive. Its only my second tank, do you think they would be okay?
Thanks guys! :)

Back
Top Bottom