20G Long Build Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hatterz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank Setup - Album on Imgur

Finally back in the hobby again after a couple years after moving to our first home. The tank is in our twin girls room! Only 3 months old but I really hope they will be able to enjoy it soon and get them hooked as I was as a young kid.

Current plans are super low maintenance, enough said saying I have twin 3 month old girls. Only planning hard aquascape. I have two driftwood pieces soaking, and plan on getting some smooth stones.

Equipment includes: SunSun JVP-11052 Wavemaker, AquaClear 70 (not pictured), Aqueon 100watt heater(not pictured), and I need a light still, as no plants I don't need anything specific but I do want LED any suggestions welcome still looking around.

Stocking Plans/Ideas
More set on these: 5-10 Rummynose Tetra, 5 Panda Cory
Less set on: 2 GBR Pair or Betta or Some other main/show fish
Will be back here from time to time to add updates more pictures etc. Cycle officially begins tomorrow when my API kit and filter arrive.

Pre-Edit: I had already posted this elsewhere and didn't want to do too much editing.
Filter/Heater have arrived and I am very pleased. AC70 is sweet and not disrupting much substrate. I have dosed the tank with ammonia up to ~4ppm.

My tap has 1ppm Ammonia, no big deal not uncommon, however my PH out of the tap looks to be 7.8. I have driftwood soaking and after 2 days the PH is down to 7.6. Now with the fish I had in mind, they are stated as liking 5-7 so I may need to look at long term PH lowering solution or rethink my stocking ideas.

Looks like this will be a nice setup. I like the black sand. And the high water level. I have a weird quirk about low water levels (IMO its best hidden by the frame).
As for LEDs you have quite a selection to choose from. Depends on your needs (fish-only viewing, low light plants, medium and up). I am a fan of the Finnex line of LEDs.
That will be a lot of flow in that tank with the powerhead + AC70. My concern would be the sand shifting but you've mentioned that appears to be under control. AC makes nice HOB filters.
I would leave the pH alone. It may drop over time as the tank cycles and matures. I understand about the 1 ppm ammonia in the tap; happened in my area a few years ago. A mature filter took care of the issue.
Looking forward to updates to this build.

Thanks for stopping by! After a few days some sand has been moved, but it's not kicking it up, just making a little mound so no big deal. Thanks for the PH advise, hoping it doesn't effect anything.

Also, I'm really looking for any suggestion on a main fish or something a little more showy. Definitely want the rummynose and cories, but looking for something to grab your attention. Was thinking a betta but the flow is pretty strong not sure one would do well. And concerns with the GBR being known for their difficulty to keep. Not a huge fan of gouramies but open to any suggestions really.

Registered first nitrites today. Somewhere between 1-2ppm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Registered first nitrites today. Somewhere between 1-2ppm.

That is certainly good news. The nitrite to nitrate phase may take a bit longer. This will give you more time to work on your stocking plan.
A 20L is a nice foot print. I really cannot help much with stocking choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

his cycle is moving much faster then my saltwater nano cylce did a couple years ago. Ammonia down to .25 so I redosed to guestimate 4ppm based on repeating last dosage amount of ammonia. Nitrites off the chart, contemplating water change to bring that back on the scale. First Nitrates seen today at what I would call 20ppm. Going to order my light I thought I had more time, and I'm hoping this driftwood is waterlogged soon, was still floating a bit 2 days ago. Getting excited!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I would do a WC to bring down the nitrites.
If the DW continues to float, you could try weighing it down with a thin piece of slate secured to the base of the DW with a stainless steel screw.

Did a relatively small water change, maybe 20%. Got the hardscape in, wood still floating but I had some extra rocks and was able to get them to hold down the driftwood. At first glance it looks wonky but it seems sturdy so no worries right now. Light should be in next week. After redosing yesterday I didn't confirm but ammonia should have been raised to 3-4ppm. I test today after the small water change and we have .25ammonia, 5+ nitrite, 40nitrate. Might be getting closer than I think. I also had second thoughts on plants, nothing planted but was considering floating, maybe frogbit or duckweed. Concern is again the flow might have the plants going everywhere, thoughts/ideas welcomed as always. At this rate I'm thinking 1.5/2 weeks and I'll be adding first fish. :dance:

Any updates?
The floating plants might be okay depending on how much current is moving the surface.

Ammonia is being converted to nitrites within 24 hours. However nitrite is still over 5ppm even after a few water changes. Will continue to do changes until I can get it on the chart. Water changes add ammonia so I'm not doing as much as before.

Did a large water change, about 90percent and nitrites are gone. Dosing ammonia will recheck tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you given any more thought to stock?

Going to start with the cories and go from there. Nitrites are all gone, redosing and will test in 24 hours.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom