20g Long w/ 24w T5HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, my lights came so I added some plants to help with my cycling. Ammonia is still around 4 ppm, no NitrItes, with a little NitrAtes. I will just have to patient. I broke up the moss from Severum Mama and will grow more.

I have an Aquaclear 50 and 30 moving the water.

Last edited:
Ammonia 4.0
NitrItes 5.0
NitrAtes between 10 & 20

3 Java moss
6 Crypto Spiralis
1 Crypto Retro
2 Rotala Vietnam
1 Bolbitis heudelotti
7 Rotala rotundifolia

all the above are single stalks

Temp 76
Lighting 1 T5HO 24w 6700 & 1 T5HO Rose color
1 Aquaclear 50 & 1 Aquaclear 30

that looks great, how deep is that sand bed?

I was trying for 3 inches but probably in spots around 4". It is probably too much but I am going to be planting non-stem plants heavily so the babies can hide so I thought it might not hurt. I also plan to get some MTS snails to help with the sand.

If given advice to take some out, I am totally open to doing that.

Right now, the sand is great, blows around but does not cloud the water even a little bit. Also, root tabs are easy to place beneath and low.

Ammonia 0.00
NitrItes above 8.8
NitrAtes above 160

Redose to 2 ppm hoping to see a drop in my NitrItes

Well, I am trying to cycle this tank...I can process 4 ppm of Ammo in 24 hours but my NitrItes keep above the readable level for the last 4 days. I have done back to back...consecutive days....75% water changes, get NitrItes down to just readable levels, but the next day, they are super high again.

Today, I am going to let Ammo remain at 0 until Monday and see where my NitrItes are.

My 10g with the Swordtails and babies waiting for this tank are doing well. I keep myself amused by adding plants. I just gave 5 babies away to a student with a tank and the local LFS will take babies when they are 1 inch long.

Last edited:
Came in this morning...somehow my lights stayed on all weekend so I had some algae growing...

Ammonia 0.00

NitrItes see through purple so less than 5.0 but not gone like I expected since I did not redose ammonia on Friday where I had more than 0 but no much more.

Did a 80 % water change and will test in an hour.

ph has spiked to purple...8.8..will retest
Ammonia to 4 ppm
NitrItes purple 2.0
NitrAtes light orange brown 5.0

Interesting...my ph early this morning...8.8...tested 3 hours later...ph 7.8...must be the hot water with the cold water that spiked it...I tested the hot water alone...pH was 7.4...

My Tests from yesterday after dosing
pH...Ammo...NitrItes...NitrAtes

Last edited:
This morning

Ammo 0
NitrItes 2.0 see through purple
NitrAtes < 160 see through red

Redose with 1 ml

This mornings test..pH...Ammo...NitrItes...NitrAtes

I redosed to 2 ppm

Last edited:
I have been reading about Ammonia and NitrIte spikes when adding fish. Do you think adding 3 two inch swordtails would be a big load on a tank?

Ammonia 0
NitrItes 5.0 see through purple
NitrAtes < 160 red

Well, I think I will do a 50% pwc to get NitrItes lower then redose with 2 ml Ammonia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom