20G Stocking Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pradeepcec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All,

My new 20g is under the cycling process now and the cycling method I am using is fishless cycling with TSS and live plants. Source of ammonia is fish food. It is almost a week now since the cycle started. The substrate I have is black quartz gravel.

I have been doing research on stocking and this is what I am thinking,
1. Cardinal Tetras - 4-5
2. Cherry barbs - 2-3
3. Cory doras - 2-3
4. Bloodfin Tetras - 4-5
5. A couple snails (not sure which one is good with above stocking)

What is your take on this?

It looks like a good plan to me. Each of the fish you selected (except for the cherry barbs, I think) are happier in slightly larger schools, say 6-7+. I would delete either the cardinals or the bloodfins and double the other school. (Is this a 20-long? Those are better suited to an active schooler, such as a bloodfin.)

The corydoras should be in schools of 5 or more, too. Just be sure to stick to the smaller ones. And I think you could go for 5 cherry barbs: I'd try for 1 male, four females.

Nerites are an excellent algae-eating snail that won't have a population explosion in your tank.

Thank you for the reply.

I will consider your advice :)

Now thinking of,
1. Cardinal Tetras - 10
2. Cherry barbs - 2-3
3. Cory doras - 4-5
4. Snails few of them

One more thing, that I read somewhere is that the cory's prefer smaller gravel size is that so? Because my gravels are not very small, they are pea sized gravels. So will I have issues with the Cory's?

And do you know, if all these fishes have a similar water requirements? Like the temp, pH etc?

Thanks in advance

Can't wait for the cycle to finish :whistle:

One more thing, that I read somewhere is that the cory's prefer smaller gravel size is that so? Because my gravels are not very small, they are pea sized gravels. So will I have issues with the Cory's?

It depends on how rough or sharp the gravel edges are, mostly. They could wear down the soft barbels of the corys if too much so.

And do you know, if all these fishes have a similar water requirements? Like the temp, pH etc?

Cardinals do best with water in the low-mid 80s, which is why they pair so well with discus. For corys, it depends on the species, but most are best in the mid to upper 70s. I'd check a good online source such as Planet Catfish for the specific species you're interested in.

It depends on how rough or sharp the gravel edges are, mostly. They could wear down the soft barbels of the corys if too much so.

Cardinals do best with water in the low-mid 80s, which is why they pair so well with discus. For corys, it depends on the species, but most are best in the mid to upper 70s. I'd check a good online source such as Planet Catfish for the specific species you're interested in.

Sure I will do that once my tank is cycled and I am ready for the fish

Back
Top Bottom