20g stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would get panda cories but youve got to have sand for cories so that there whiskers arent worn down by gravel. Pandas grow to 2 inches and are playfull and there colors are pretty nice

Have gravel. Read that Cory's are fine on gravel as long as edges aren't too sharp. Am I ok to get Cory's.

Not sure if this will work or not. When get home will send a better pick of gravel.

image-3424186591.jpg

Not sure if this will work or not. When get home will send a better pick of gravel.

Try and get a close up im gonna change my substrate from gravel to sand next week for some panda corys im getting

image-1725958858.jpg

Thats my gravel its to sharp for corys

How hard is it to replace substrate when you have fish and a lot of sand. Was told sand was not as good for plants and much harder to clean. Lady at lfs said this gravel would be fine for Cory's. wasn't a chain store, specialty tropical fish store.

You could fit 3 males and 8 females of different ram types together happily in a 55 gallon with bottom feeders and schooling fish.

11 rams in a 55? I don't know...

Don't they need more territory then that, especially with bottom feeders?

Not to beat a dead horse but a single ram would be perfectly fine in a 20h. They only tend to get territorial when in a mating pair and spawning, but on their own they're usually quite peaceful.

They do need very established tanks though with low nitrates (under 20) so live plants are recommended.

OP a good person to ask about rams on this forum is Rivercats. She's been keeping them probably longer than most of us have been alive haha so she has terrific advice.

Not to beat a dead horse but a single ram would be perfectly fine in a 20h. They only tend to get territorial when in a mating pair and spawning, but on their own they're usually quite peaceful.

They do need very established tanks though with low nitrates (under 20) so live plants are recommended.

OP a good person to ask about rams on this forum is Rivercats. She's been keeping them probably longer than most of us have been alive haha so she has terrific advice.

I know your all gonna get made at me for this but i put my 2 GBRS in to cycle my 20g long but they are safe and have been liveing in there for a couple months!
And showing lots of color. Rams are much hardier than ppl give the credit for.

Yea I've ha to have had more than 10, and one in a 20 gallon high, an it was chaos after 4 months, I learned the hard way, and my uncle has been breeding them for more than 30 years, and advices to never do it

I mean no disrespect by this but didn't you start keeping them a few months ago? I vaguely recall a number of stocking threads involving your 29g from a few months back.

Ok after reading up on posts I think I have my stock list.

20 g high
Penguin 150 filter
Medium amount of live plants

Currently have 4 harlequin rasboras. Getting 2 more once cycled

6 rasboras
1 dwarf gourami
4-6 Cory's. not sure which type

Don't think I will have room for another school even though i like some of the tetras.

For remainder of my stock thinking of getting something a bit diff. Maybe some cherry shrimp. Is there any type of kuhli loaches that would work?

How does this stock look?

Ok after reading up on posts I think I have my stock list.

20 g high
Penguin 150 filter
Medium amount of live plants

Currently have 4 harlequin rasboras. Getting 2 more once cycled

6 rasboras
1 dwarf gourami
4-6 Cory's. not sure which type

Don't think I will have room for another school even though i like some of the tetras.

For remainder of my stock thinking of getting something a bit diff. Maybe some cherry shrimp. Is there any type of kuhli loaches that would work?

How does this stock look?

That seems like a good stocking list but its ether kuhlis or cories. And did you get how to change your substrate and btw you must take out your fish when doing so.

Def like the Cory's better. Understand how to change substrate. Is it realty necessary to do it if the gravel is pretty smooth. Speciality fish store people said would be fine. If I do change to sand should I wait till fully cycled?

Back
Top Bottom