20L has been upgraded to a 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Theresa has said something about emerald rasbora and shrimp, but I just want to double check. I love my CPD but I think it'd be epic to have emerald rasbora in the 40, since they shoal instead of school, plus that gives me polka dots AND stripes! Squeee!

My only concern is shrimp fry and the fact these fish like live food :| To each their own, no hate but I won't touch them if they're going to decimate the fry.

If emeralds (cool stripes btw) are like CPDs, then they are little hunters IMO. I've watched the CPDs hover and pick at the moss and DW. They obviously are finding things to nibble on. And take on flakes as big as themselves...carrying it around like a beach towel. Not trying to scare you off as others may have different experiences with these and shrimp fry. I think there will always be losses when mixing shrimp and nano fish but may depend on the number and health of the shrimp and what kind of cover is available.
Yes, I keep the CPDs and RCS in separate tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh! The CPD and shrimp hang out in different areas in the 5.5. I feed them on opposite ends XD If the emeralds are similar, I'll be golden. On the right side of the tank, opposite the filter, there will be 4-5 cholla and moss for everyone to hide in. Danios may be curious about moss, but they can't get inside cholla like shrimp can. The description made them sound bloodthirsty @_@

The steel mesh came in today! I think Mister is going to cut and silicone it in tonight. Not gonna touch his tools. That means I can start prepping the dirt Friday night, since he's only doing a super thin layer, just enough it won't move. It's so stiff, I doubt it will without it. However, there's one of two ways to be-safe or sorry.

Saturday I'll grab starter media from LFS up the road and add in the bits of floss I've kept in the plant tank I add drops of ammonia to in order to keep it all fed. Already have high loft quilt batting to put between the dirt and mesh in front of the filter. Squeee! I'll be planting, adding water and starting the cycle in a few days!

The steel mesh came in today! I think Mister is going to cut and silicone it in tonight. Not gonna touch his tools. That means I can start prepping the dirt Friday night, since he's only doing a super thin layer, just enough it won't move. It's so stiff, I doubt it will without it. However, there's one of two ways to be-safe or sorry.

Saturday I'll grab starter media from LFS up the road and add in the bits of floss I've kept in the plant tank I add drops of ammonia to in order to keep it all fed. Already have high loft quilt batting to put between the dirt and mesh in front of the filter. Squeee! I'll be planting, adding water and starting the cycle in a few days!

Your patience is commendable. I used very heavy shears and Kung fu grip to cut the #4 SS mesh. Sounds like it is coming along nicely.

The description made them sound bloodthirsty @_@

Apparently I'm a drama queen.

Your patience is commendable. I used very heavy shears and Kung fu grip to cut the #4 SS mesh. Sounds like it is coming along nicely.

Apparently I'm a drama queen.??

Mister is going to dremel it down to 5x12 and stick it on for me tonight. Win!

Mister is going to dremel it down to 5x12 and stick it on for me tonight. Win!

That tool is handy for removing any pointy ends, although I found the hand cut ends were no sharper than the machine cut ends.
Will silicone be used to hold it in place against the braces?

Yep! Though, he didn't have an appropriate bit that came anywhere near close to cutting it. My Gerber works fine on the ends of it, but I can't bend it enough to get more than one wire in. Sheesh. I got what I needed, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure this mesh could stop a stampeding elephant.

It is strong stuff. This tool worked with a lot of force:
h3haQhe.png

I have another sheet of this due to an order that did not get canceled.
I've determined that you don't sleep ?

Usually from 7amish to a bit after noon. I work from 230 to 11pm. I like it, not too many people.

102672-albums14453-picture69450.jpeg

Whew.

102672-albums14453-picture69452.jpeg

This right here makes this kind of filter awesome.

Last edited:
Sweet!!!
What a testimonial for sponge as the total filter!!
I am the sponge guy.
I really think this type of setup would be superior for breeding......

Filling from behind the sponge...Brilliant!(you have done this before)!

Nope. I just read a lot, watch videos, bounce things off other people and brainstorm with people who know more than I. Then, it works! What?! It's true.

I got impatient. Here's Mister measuring for the spray bar across the back. Once the silicon on the bracket cures, I can spray paint it black to blend in with the trim.

I'm going to use pond foam and Krylon Fusion to make the rocks. Parchment paper, lay down a tube prepped for sand lift, foam it. Going to make 3-4 columns for rocks, spray a few different colors (almond, espresso, river rock) across the lot of them, dry brush across the wet paint to get strata effect and... Yep. That's it. Thinking of breaking off bamboo skewers to anchor them together and toss moss on. Bam. Done. That's a month or so away. Still need to get the Finnex Planted + 24/7, which a video on YouTube shows has 60ish par at 17" when it's 3pm. May only need one, since the high light plants are going in one area and the bar has 90* coverage IIRC.

Tomorrow before the bacteria starter from LFS goes in, the plants are going in. The tank is right next to a wall of windows, I'm confident they'll hold fine a week without a dedicated lamp. It's the plant package from fishenthusiast. Next payday, I'm grabbing a large mat of dhg from MINIMAL to set in along the banks, up the hill and over on the right side.

I love the fact I'm able to get r done with the help of people here. That being said, when time comes to add trees, I'll be posting wanteds for the bits I'm lacking. So win!

Also, the sound from the spray bar is fantastic. Need to find a bird track to play on loop hahahaha

I got impatient. Here's Mister measuring for the spray bar across the back. Once the silicon on the bracket cures, I can spray paint it black to blend in with the trim.

I'm going to use pond foam and Krylon Fusion to make the rocks. Parchment paper, lay down a tube prepped for sand lift, foam it. Going to make 3-4 columns for rocks, spray a few different colors (almond, espresso, river rock) across the lot of them, dry brush across the wet paint to get strata effect and... Yep. That's it. Thinking of breaking off bamboo skewers to anchor them together and toss moss on. Bam. Done. That's a month or so away. Still need to get the Finnex Planted + 24/7, which a video on YouTube shows has 60ish par at 17" when it's 3pm. May only need one, since the high light plants are going in one area and the bar has 90* coverage IIRC.

Tomorrow before the bacteria starter from LFS goes in, the plants are going in. The tank is right next to a wall of windows, I'm confident they'll hold fine a week without a dedicated lamp. It's the plant package from fishenthusiast. Next payday, I'm grabbing a large mat of dhg from MINIMAL to set in along the banks, up the hill and over on the right side.

I love the fact I'm able to get r done with the help of people here. That being said, when time comes to add trees, I'll be posting wanteds for the bits I'm lacking. So win!

Also, the sound from the spray bar is fantastic. Need to find a bird track to play on loop hahahaha

Processing 2ppm ammonia in 24. That gunk from LFS is pretty darn good. Doing a water change because I poked the dickens out of the substrate and now it's all ugly. Once I refill, I'll give it a little more to chew on. Wednesday I'll check nitrites/nitrates. Saturday I'll pick up the 1g with ug filter and get it started for daphnia.

I'm so excited to see your tank up and decorated. I keep checking the thread to see if you've posted any new photos. That filter is awesome. I want a new tank so I can get one.

I need to order the mat grass and Finnex Planted + 24/7. Firm on it since watching the PAR hit 60 on the aquarium floor in a 20h (at the highest setting, which it reaches around 3pm) which is within a couple of inches of this one. Since that will be centered over the majority of the plants (moss doesn't care), I think one will be plenty. Pretty excited!

Back
Top Bottom