210g HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonedog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im new to fish. Inherited a 55g tank a week ago. Now I bought a 210g with 2 aquatop cf500uv canisters, 200lbs of crushed coral, and a heater. Lots of questions. I want to make it an african cichlid community tank. Ive read overstocking can curb aggression. I want to stock with juveniles to watch em grow. How many fish should I stock with? In an overstocked tank that big do I need to be really careful about which ones to put in? I plan on alot of rocks. Do I need plants too? I know I have more questions but im drawing a blank. Thanks

Okay so to give you a basics, nope no plants as they won't last. Yes over stocking is how you should go but you really should pick what type of Africans you want, there are mbunas, haps, and tangs really. That's still far to vast to know what you want so what I want you to do is go on www.liveaquaria.com and check out each type. Get a feel for what you like, colors, aggression, size and what not. Also read my thread

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296930

It has a lot of helpful advice. I didn't know diddly squat about Africans until I started that thread. It's very informative

I know I didn't answer all your questions but, we need a starting point. Remember, patience is key to this hobby!

Thanks. Ive looked at some. Im thinking mbunas. I'll post a list of some I like tomorrow after work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Ive looked at some. Im thinking mbunas. I'll post a list of some I like tomorrow after work.

Sounds great, I'll be ready and I'll get some people who I know are very knowledgeable on these to help out.

So far ive came up with these to start with. They dont look the same so no crossbreeding I hope. Was thinking 8-10 of each. Does anyone see problems with them? Any suggestions on others I could put with them?

So far ive came up with these to start with. They dont look the same so no crossbreeding I hope. Was thinking 8-10 of each. Does anyone see problems with them? Any suggestions on others I could put with them?

I don't see a fish list?

Lmao...oops. here it is.
Cynotilapia afra
Iodotropheus sprengerae
Pseudo acei
Pseudo saulosi
I know its a short list but its a start

Did you check out that link I posted? Cynotilapia afra is too vague. Here are all Cynotilapia afra

Cynotilapia afra (Chewere)
Cynotilapia afra (Chinuni)
Cynotilapia afra (Chitande)
Cynotilapia afra (Chuanga)
Cynotilapia afra (Cobue)
Cynotilapia afra (Jalo Reef)
Cynotilapia afra (Likoma)
Cynotilapia afra (Lumbila)
Cynotilapia afra (Lundu)
Cynotilapia afra (Lupingu)
Cynotilapia afra (Mbenji)
Cynotilapia afra (Metangula)
Cynotilapia afra (Minos Reef)
Cynotilapia afra (Msobo)
Cynotilapia afra (Ndumbi)
Cynotilapia afra (Njambe)
Cynotilapia afra (Nkhata Bay)
Cynotilapia afra (Nkolongwe)

I was going to see what my lfs has and go from there with the afras. Yea I read through all of the links. Eventually want agassizi and cockatoo as well but at 80 a pair its not in the budget yet. Just spent 2100$ on everything else and haven't bought a single fish yet. Dont think my wife is too fond of my new infatuation.

When u buy fish online how are they shipped? Seems like they would die with no filtration or oxygen.

Typically they are sent in breather bags in a small amount of water. It allows oxygen into the bag so the fish can breath, but doesn't allow water out. They usually pack them in a box lined with styrofoam, packed with packing peanuts, and with a heat pack if neccessary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nope most fish will last days in boxes. And most good fish places online ship overnight ready in the am. It's a small price you pay when buying 500$+ on fish

Ive been to at least a dozen lfs in my city the last week. OOne seems way nicer than the rest. Clean tanks and best selection in town. From juveniles to full grown adults. I was going to buy from there. Where are the better fish usually from lfs or online?

The benefit to buying in store is that you are seeing what you are getting. I personally don't buy online unless I can't find a clean/reputable store to buy from. I would rather see them in person.

The benefit to buying in store is that you are seeing what you are getting. I personally don't buy online unless I can't find a clean/reputable store to buy from. I would rather see them in person.

There are tons of highly reputable online stores for Africans. I haven't ordered online yet but I'm near a few that are online and they know what they are doing.

Jwh, I was not saying they aren't online stores that are great. Just that you can see what you are getting in a physical store, since bonedog asked which would have better fish. The question really can't be answered without seeing the fish.

I will probably start at store here. I purchased the aquarium there and the owner said hed discount all my fish. Im sure sooner or later ther will be something I gotta have and have to order.

Back
Top Bottom