•24 fish in a 20 gal: OVERCROWDED?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

memeaquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey!

I am a beginner in the aquarium hobby.
I own a 20 gallon tank.
I have 24 tropical freshwater fish living it.
I have lost 5 in the last 2 weeks[emoji853] But I replaced them.

I have read several articles about overcrowding, but the lady at my local fish store said that I could keep up to 40 tropical fish in my tank, so I thought 24 would be fine.

They seem to be happy and healthy for the most part, but I feel like I am doing many things wrong.

My aquarium has a filter, heater, natural plants,
natural gravel, a log and some rocks. (Hiding spaces provided).

Many people have told me I lost those 5 fish due to stress caused by the transition. I really don't want to make them suffer and I don't want to lose anymore fish.

What can I do? Am I doing something wrong?IMG_1500.jpg

What fish are in the tank currently? How long has it been setup? You are probably losing fish due to toxic levels of ammonia or nitrites due to having a partially cycled tank.

You should read up on the "Nitrogen Cycle" and test your water for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate.

Lastly, you should find a new fish store.

What fish are in the tank currently? How long has it been setup? You are probably losing fish due to toxic levels of ammonia or nitrites due to having a partially cycled tank.

You should read up on the "Nitrogen Cycle" and test your water for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate.

Lastly, you should find a new fish store.

Thank you so much! No one at the store told me about the nitrogen cycle or tests for ammonia and those things. I live in Latin America in a very small country, hard to find that kind of stuff in there. Anyways I have:

• 2 guppies
• 5 neon danios
• 2 mollies (balloon)
• 2 neon tetras
• 3 tiger barbs
• 3 bottom algae eaters (1 pleco)
• 3 black tailed- platies
• 2 rosibarbs

Thank you so much! No one at the store told me about the nitrogen cycle or tests for ammonia and those things. I live in Latin America in a very small country, hard to find that kind of stuff in there. Anyways I have:

• 2 guppies
• 5 neon danios
• 2 mollies (balloon)
• 2 neon tetras
• 3 tiger barbs
• 3 bottom algae eaters (1 pleco)
• 3 black tailed- platies
• 2 rosibarbs

Oh and the lady told me I didn't have to go through the cycle for some reason I did not really pay attention to. She just gave me water she had already prepared in separate bags and told me to use those and I put the fish not so long after. (minutes after) It was all so quick, we went to the store, she told me to select the fish I wanted, prepared the water, we set up the tank, put decorations in, filter heater lights, then we quickly put the water and fish in.

It's not cycled yet what are your water parameters do you have a test kit

Yeah, I'd stop shopping at her store; she's giving you terrible advice. When you get a test kit, check the water parameters for your ammonia and nitrite readings. I'd also consider starting large water changes (50%) daily with water treated with a good water conditioner, such as Seachem Prime. Do *not* trust her "magic water." :nono:

Also, based on the fish you mentioned, I'd say you're probably overstocked (What kind of filter do you have?) and that you have incompatible species. At a minimum, I'd take the tiger barbs back to her or, if she won't take them, find another store that will. Also the plecostomus is a big waste contributor: I'd probably do the same with him and not get another until the tank is stabilized.

And don't panic: we're here to help. (y) :cool:

•24 fish in a 20 gal: OVERCROWDED? [emoji47]

Yeah, I'd stop shopping at her store; she's giving you terrible advice. When you get a test kit, check the water parameters for your ammonia and nitrite readings. I'd also consider starting large water changes (50%) daily with water treated with a good water conditioner, such as Seachem Prime. Do *not* trust her "magic water." :nono:

Also, based on the fish you mentioned, I'd say you're probably overstocked (What kind of filter do you have?) and that you have incompatible species. At a minimum, I'd take the tiger barbs back to her or, if she won't take them, find another store that will. Also the plecostomus is a big waste contributor: I'd probably do the same with him and not get another until the tank is stabilized.

And don't panic: we're here to help. (y) :cool:

I agree with the above statement.

Also look into returning the Rosy Barbs if possible. They can get 6+ inches. I made the same mistake of putting some in my 30 gallon about 4-5 years ago. If you ever get room in that tank, Cherry Barbs would be a nice fish.

Read through my signature thread link about getting started, and also this one below about doing a fish in cycle.

As a new tank keeper these will help give you the building blocks of nformation to be able to keep a nice tank!

Aquarium water from the store's tank will not make a cycled tank.

Also agree about rehoming some fish especially the Pleco if it is a common pleco which can get 18 inches / 45cm.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom