25 Gallon Cube Tank - Bamboo Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IERTOI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, my name is David and I have recently fell in love with fish (lol). It all started a few years ago with sport fishing (largemouth mostly), but now I love owning an aquarium. I have also been interested in many different species of fish and tank set ups. This leads me to my main question about my tank. I keep it at 78 degrees F constantly. My filter is located in the top right corner of the cube tank and I am unsure of how the filter's current is going to help the shrimp thrive in my tank. I understand that they are filter feeders but I am a little confused as to how it will stay up there and do nothing but feed?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you guys! :)

Picture of my tank is also included to help you get a better understanding of my situation.

fish_tank_25_gal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The shrimp will find a spot with adequate current, open up its fans, and start feeding. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the flow from the filter.

You could move the filter or the log so the shrimp can sit on the log and be in the filter flow. Otherwise, a small powerhead would add some more current if you're worried the shrimp isn't getting enough food.

Ah I see what you are saying. I think the confusion here is that the shrimp do not actually feed from the filter in your fish tank, but they filter their food out of the water with their little fan like hand things (excuse the super technical terminology ;). Your tanks filter does play a role in this because they will find a spot with good flow and filter from that flow. They should never be picking at the tank floor for food. They are not designed for that so if you see it, they are starving. Because of this you want to wait until the tank is well established before adding one. Add all of the rest of your stock list first, wait a few months, then add your bamboo shrimp. If you want to make sure your bamboo shrimp will not starve, you can keep on hand a small pipette and liquid fish fry food. If they are unable to filter enough food, you can squirt that at them.

The shrimp will find a spot with adequate current, open up its fans, and start feeding. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the flow from the filter.

You could move the filter or the log so the shrimp can sit on the log and be in the filter flow. Otherwise, a small powerhead would add some more current if you're worried the shrimp isn't getting enough food.

Thank you very much! I am not sure why it had not came to mind but that is definitely a great idea. I have been wanting to rearrange the tank anyways too lol. :)

Ah I see what you are saying. I think the confusion here is that the shrimp do not actually feed from the filter in your fish tank, but they filter their food out of the water with their little fan like hand things (excuse the super technical terminology ;). Your tanks filter does play a role in this because they will find a spot with good flow and filter from that flow. They should never be picking at the tank floor for food. They are not designed for that so if you see it, they are starving. Because of this you want to wait until the tank is well established before adding one. Add all of the rest of your stock list first, wait a few months, then add your bamboo shrimp. If you want to make sure your bamboo shrimp will not starve, you can keep on hand a small pipette and liquid fish fry food. If they are unable to filter enough food, you can squirt that at them.

Ahhh I totally see what you are saying. Thank you so much for putting it that way lol. Hopefully with this new found understand (lol) and possible moving the tree root structure to the right side of the tank, I wont be so paranoid. Either way, thanks bro.

Ahhh I totally see what you are saying. Thank you so much for putting it that way lol. Hopefully with this new found understand (lol) and possible moving the tree root structure to the right side of the tank, I wont be so paranoid. Either way, thanks bro.

Sis might be more appropriate ;) lol you're very welcome

Back
Top Bottom