25 gallon weight q?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi just bought a 30x12x15 tank (25g i think). i had in mind a perfect sized spot on my kitchen worktop where i could put it... so got the tank and the gravel set up and it dawned on me... this is going to weight ALOT.. and whether the kitchen worktop could handle it came into question.

the tank is situated above my washing machine so there is a fairly wide space which has no additional support except the cupboard on the right and the wood its mounted on, on the left (which is fixed to the wall. i could probably put a vertical support in at the back of the washing machine but that will only support the back of the worktop.. i was thinking of putting a horizontal support above the washer underneath the tank to give it a bit of extra rigidity or wedging a piece of timber between the washer and the bottom of the worktop.

what do you guys think. i know its a bit of guess work but has anybody else done anything similar, do i definatley need the additional support.

my partner and i have both sat on the worktop with the empty tank and 16kgs of gravel and it seemed ok but im not sure if prolonged pressure will do more damage.

Any advice is appreciated

thanks

As in a granite kitchen counter? Or a work area?

Water is roughly eight pounds per gallon, you're looking at 200 lbs, which long-term I would think be okay for a granite counter. Not sure about a wood one.

You should take a picture of the area so we have more of an idea about what your talking about..

Heres the pics. Ive already put a prop in the centre at the back i used a scaffold board for that. I dont know if wedging anything between the washer and the worktop is a good idea cause of vibration.

Also what can i used instead of polystirene to go under my tank the only stuff ive got is like 3 inches thick. will a few layers of corrigated cardboard suffice?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111009_122257.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111009_122257.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20111009_122317.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111009_122317.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 79
Back
Top Bottom