.25PPM ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoobcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im having some issues with my 29G.

I have a Marineland 350 filter running on there alongside a tetra whisper 40 I plan on removing the 40 after awhile. Anyway I recently finished cycling my tank as I believe so. I had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites for about 1 week running. Nitrates would rise and I controlled them with PWCs. Stocking levels were as follows:

1 dalmation molly
1 swordtail
5 danio
2 kuhli loach
1 bn pleco
2 glass catfish
1 mystery snail
1 dalmation molly fry

After the take had been running zeros for a week I added 3 more glass cat fish to make a nice group of 5. After adding them my ammonia level reached .25ppm. Did a 50% water change and after 24 hrs they were back at .25ppm, so .125ppm ammo over 24 hrs.

Is this normal when adding new fish and will it balance back out or is my tank overstocked?

Thanks a bunch!

I don't think you're overstocked but your'e approaching capacity. It's normal to have rises in toxins temporarily when adding fish. The bacteria have adjusted to the bioload in the tank; when you add more fish the bioload increases and it can take a bit of time for the bacteria to compensate. Just do pwc as needed until the tank settles on its own.

What kind of danio do you have? Also I believe the Glass Cats and Khuli Loaches do best in groups of at least 5 each.

Well I have 5 glass cats now that I added the 3. I want to add 3 kuhlis after the tank stabilizes again. Would that be too much? Not sure of the bioload on those kuhlis. Not sure on my type of danios. They're greenish Orange with Orange and black stripes kind of.

Back
Top Bottom