29 Gal - Few weeks old, question on Cycle and Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright,
First thanks for all of the friendly help I have recieved so far. I set up a 29 gal aquarium at my office 9/8/06. I added fish the following Monday, which would have been 9/11/06 so it has been 1 week stocked. Originally, I had

6 Black Mollies
12 Neon Tetras
4 Sword Tails

During setup, I added a full does of water conditioner and prime. I also added a full dose of Stress Zyme. I added pretty close to the recommended salt level for the mollies to make them alittle more at home, but I did this gradually over the week as I really didnt think Petsmart used salt in their tanks.

During the week last week, I took water samples daily, and every day it was 0ppm for Amonia/Nitrite/Nitrate. I am just now getting a reading for the first time of any Amonia in the tank. It is between .25-.5 ppm, and everything else is still at 0.

My question is, is this a slow cycle start, a small bio-load, or did I add enough of the prime bacteria that it could have aided the process since it had about 3 days to set up in the filter media? I had the temp around 82 degrees during that weekend to help the process, tank now is about 76-78 Degrees F.

The first few days, several of the neons died, and 1 of the red tails died. Friday one of the Mollies died as well, so currently I am left with

3 Neon Tetras
5 Black Mollies
3 Sword Tails

I am thinking of adding a Gourami centerpiece and an clean up fish. Should I continue to wait or go ahead and get the fish? I am also considering adding a few more black mollies. I would eventually like something fun like a "Cobalt Lobster", but want the tank absolutely stable before adding a 40 dollar item to the tank.

Thanks!

James

I left out a main part of the question, should I perform a PWC or let it have the ammonia so it can better cycle?

hi James. You are now only BEGINNING to cycle. You will find that your ammonia is going to skyrocket so keep close tabs on it. You'll need to do water changes to keep the ammonia levels below 0.5ppm. After a couple of weeks the ammonia will start to go away on its own (through the development of the first batch of "good bacteria") but your nitrites will rise. Both Ammonia and Nitrites are highly toxic, so you'll need to keep both ammonia and nitrites below 0.5ppm via frequent water changes. If you don't have a Python "No Spill" gravel vac you should get one - you're in for alot of water changes, especially with that many fish in the tank.
Here is an article on the Nitrogen Cycle that you should read:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

And here is an article about "Fishless cycling" that you might be interested in - or at leat show to any friends you have who may catch "the fever" after seeing your tank. This article was written by a Saltwater keeper but exactly the same techniques apply to freshwater (minus the salt). Fishless cycling is alot easier than cycling with fish as it does not require the frequent water changes that a cycle with fish does.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

BTW, the lobster will catch and eat the fish in the tank - if you want one he'll need his own tank.

petsmarts shouldnt have sold you all those fish, to cycle with. and if they didnt know it was for a new tank they didnt ask the right questions.

i suggest cycling with 6 hardy tetras

mollies are actually quite a sensitive fish to water conditions. its gonna be hard for them to survive the cycling process.

swordtails are for matured tanks only, they are a sensitive species also.

i cycled with 2 silvertip tetras, and 2 serpae tetras

i also have a 29G it took me about 6 weeks to cycle. i woudl suggest not usign chemicals during the cycling process, it may speed things up but you will end up with a unstable tank.

hope everything works out

You'll need to do water changes each time ammonia or nitrites reach 0.5ppm - if you don't its likely the fish will die (maybe not immediately, but they will suffer gill burns which will significantly weaken them)

I would keep with these fishes, would not add anything and just keep doing some regular PWC lets say 10% every day or 20% every 2 days, hoping to go to a more smooth cycling without killing the remaining fishes. I think there are chances for them to survive...And of course, no gourami for now!! The time will pass. It worths waiting!

Back
Top Bottom