29 Gal Start-Up Log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsongy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I decided to place a log on my 29 gallon freshwater tank I am starting up. It includes entries from Sunday April 20, 2008. I figured this would be the best way in case I come accross some problems. I will not be posting in several different threads, just this one. I will also, post pictures of what I have at this time along the way.

For now, please read the log and let me know if you see any problems. The concern I am having is the ammonia levels. I placed Petco brand Bacteria and I still do not see an ammonia reduction. Does it take a few days or a few weeks for the levels to go down? Should I add more bacteria?

Anyway, here is the log...

29 Gallon Freshwater Start-Up Log – Songy
Tank Information:
Tank: Rectangular 29 Gallon 30"L x 12"W x 18"H.
Filter: Penn-Plax Cascade 1000 Canister filter.
Lighting: Perfecto Manufacturing Full Aquarium Hood – Universal Fit with Eclipse Fluorescent Lighting.

Planning to add a lunar light before fish addition.
Substrate: Premium Quality Aquarium Gravel.
Heating: 100 Watt Visi-Therm Stealth Premium Heater
Plants: Various fake plants.
Center Piece: 12” tall fake coral
Chemicals: API Stress Coat, Ace Ammonia Janitorial Strength Formula, Petco Brand Bacteria.
Test Kit: API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Date: 4.20.2008
1. Set up tank and stand and wiped down inside/outside of tank with damp towel.
2. Placed washed substrate inside tank and leveled off.
3. Placed heater in back behind fake coral.
4. Added tap water to tank to about 2” from top.
5. Set up canister filter in place and started it up.
6. Turned heater on and place temperature up to 85 degrees in order to follow the fishless cycle method.
7. Placed various fake plants next to coral in tank.
8. Waited 30 minutes and put API Stress Coat for water conditioning.
9. Did not have an item from an established tank so I skipped this part for the time being.
10. I also, could not find pure ammonia today.
11. Monitored tank temperature, chlorine, and Ph. Temperature stabilized at 85 degrees and test showed no chlorine. Tank Ph is 7.0.

Date 4.21.2008
1. Found Ammonia at Ace Hardware store and placed 2ml of ammonia into tank and waited 30 minutes and tested for ammonia. Test resulted in an ammonia level of 2ppm.
2. Read on internet about placing two packets of Cycle in place of established item from another tank. Found a generic version Petco brand called Bacteria which is supposed to be the same, but cheaper.
3. Place recommended 30 ml into tank.
4. Tested for ammonia and results were the same 2ppm.

Date 4.22.2008
1. Tested ammonia levels and it showed a level of 2ppm.

Date 4.23.2008

Date 4.24.2008

Date 4.25.2008

Thanks, Gerald

Attachments

• 29Gal-Fish-Tank-003.jpg
    29Gal-Fish-Tank-003.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 29Gal-Fish-Tank-004.jpg
    29Gal-Fish-Tank-004.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 29Gal-Fish-Tank-013.jpg
    29Gal-Fish-Tank-013.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 29Gal-Fish-Tank-016.jpg
    29Gal-Fish-Tank-016.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 49
It takes awhile for the beneficial bacteria to build to high enough levels to start decreasing the Ammonia levels. I wouldn't be concerned after only 5 days.

Cycle is generally considered to be worthless, and I doubt the other stuff you found is any better. Really the only one that seems to work is BioSpira when it's been stored properly.

Looks like you're off to a good start. Without seed material, the cycle can take a while, so just be patient. You may want to consider bumping up your ammonia level to ~4ppm as well.

Cycle is generally considered to be worthless, and I doubt the other stuff you found is any better. Really the only one that seems to work is BioSpira when it's been stored properly.

BioSpira? Does Big Al's sell it? I tried to look, but cannot find it.

May I suggest something for the forum that may be beneficial? Can someone create a thread and put a sticky so beginners like me can view and get a heads up on what works and does not work. In this thread, include everything someone needs when starting a new tank. This includes water conditioners and chemicals for good bacteria growth like BioSpira that is recommended.

This would help guys and gals make the right choices first. So far, I bought two chemicals that I could have done without. The name for the thread could be titled "A Simple Guide to Starting Up a New Fish Tank."

Thanks, I will continue with what I got, but if I do not see a change by Sunday, I will go out and buy BioSpira.

Thanks, Gerald

4.26-27-2008
#1. Tested ammonia levels and it showed a level of 2ppm.
#2. Added 2" of water with conditioner due to low water levels.
#3. Added 10ml. of Bacteria.

It has been six days and the ammonia level is not coming down. I added more bacteria, am I doing something wrong?

Gerald

What exactly are you doing when you say you added more bacteria?

About a week in is when I'd expect you to start seeing some action without seeding properly, so you should start to see something any time now.

I don't believe that stuff to be worth anything. I imagine it's not doing anything for you at all. The only stuff that has been known to work is Bio-Spira. It's expensive, and if it hasn't been handled properly by the warehouse, shipping company, and selling storefront it won't work either.

Do I use something like a Ph buffer to add carbonates and phosphates? Doing some research, it is stated that new tank start-ups need carbonates and phosphates to establish bacteria growth. Is this true?

Gerald

Last edited:
I don't see the need to add any supplements. Just be patient you should start to see the ammonia drop soon. Probably in the next day or so. This whole process is going to take at least a month, you are doing just fine.

1. Tested ammonia levels and it finally shows a 1ppm.

Note: It might just be my eyes, but it looks like the ammonia is finally dropping after a week. The color looks light green which indicates a 1ppm level. Thanks guys for being pateint with me, I am getting excited to add the fish I guess.

Stay tuned for more entries, thanks!
Gerald

Keep doing what you're doing. You can stop throwing your money away on the "bacteria". Bio-Spira is about the only thing that has ever shown any result at all and that needs to be bought cold and kept in the fridge. Keep up the old fashion way. Keep dosing ammonia, watching the nitrites start to rise and then descrease to 0 (as you should see your ammonia do that now as well). When you can dose ammonia and see both go to 0 and nitrates increase, you're ready to go. Just so a big water change (30% or so) to get your nitrates down. Then it's off to the fish store for a couple fish (stress couple).

4.29.2008 through 5.5.2008

1. Tested ammonia levels and it finally shows a .5ppm.
2. Added 10ml. of Petco's Bacteria.
3. Bought Ammonia Alert indicator last week.

Ok, the Ammonia level seems to be slowly dropping, I put .5, but it looks like .75ppm. It has been 2 full weeks since I started the tank.

Here are some questions, one, do I keep the light on or off during the initial cycle?

Second, I bought an Ammonia Alert indicator that supposed to change colors according to the ammonia level in tank. Yellow is <.2ppm (safe) and blue dangerous. It's been in the tank for a week and it still shows yellow. Has anyone had this before and does it really work?

Third, do I need to do water changes while starting a tank?

One last question, since start-up I have been getting these very, very small bubbles in the water. At first I thought is was from to much circulation so I cut the circulation back. I began thinking it was some kind of small particles, but when it gets to the top of the water, it disappears. Therefore, it has to be air bubbles, is this normal or do I have a problem?

Thanks for reading this thread and helping me out, I appreciate this.

Gerald

Last edited by a moderator:
Ammonia + Light = Green water. Keep the lights off until the cycle is complete.

The bubbles are probably just small pockets of air escaping the substrate that were trapped while you set things up.

I have not had any experience with the ammonia alert, I saw one that did ammonia, nitrite, ph and temp. Thought that it would be cool but I doubt it would work reliably. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

As far as the bubbles in the tank, they will go away with time. Once the tank is established they will disappear. My new tank was like that for the first month and once a "slime" grew over everything it cleared up quickly. Some can be coming from the substrate, and some might be coming from your HOB.

Good luck, looks like you're on the right track!

Thanks, lights are out!

Yeah, the bubbles looks like it is coming from the substrate. The Ammonia Alert was a waste of $7.50, does not work. Thanks!

Gerald

5.9 - 20.2008

1. Continued with the fishless cycle.

1. Realized my mistake and bought BIO media so beneficial bacteria can grow on inside filter.

Note: LFS did not tell me I needed it. (Sorry! I am passing the blame to the LFS! :))

5.22 – 26.2008

Continued testing for ammonia levels with improvements everyday now.

1. Tested Ammonia in the morning and it was 2ppm. Tested ammonia 10 hours later and it was 0.
2. Tested for Nitrites and it was 2.
3. Tested for Nitrates and it was 5.
4. Bought fish!!!

Fish stock:

Julidochromis Marlieri Cichlid
Lethrinops Intermedia Cichlid
Neolamprologus Cylindicus Cichlid
Orange Leleupi Cichlid
Protomelas “Taiwan Reef” Cichlid
Synodontis Petricola Catfish

1. Placed Eheim 3581 automatic fish feeder in service.

Note: Made 2nd big mistake, the instructions did not recommend how I should set the slider door for the amount it should drop in the tank for the fish to eat. So I thought having the slider set at 50% would be enough, it was more than enough! The LFS sold me these small pellets which makes it pour more easily than flake and when the bucket turned, it dumped a huge amount of pellets. The worst part of this situation is that I had to go to work and had no time to do a PWC. By the time I was able to do a PWC, the food started to decay and my Nitrates was around 40!!!

1. Did the PWC and rinsed of fake plants and coral center piece.

1. Ammonia level was .25ppm.
2. Nitrites level was 1ppm (down from 2ppm yesterday).
3. Nitrates level was 10ppm.

Notes: Since my nitrates level is a 10, should I do another PWC?

I will post some pictures later and finally close this thread. I still need a background!

Please continue to post your comments and opinions, I am anxious to see what everyone has to say about the fish that I bought. I wanted cichlid fish and the salesman at the LFS said these would be good for the tank I had. I do plan on getting a 100 gallon tank next year.

I am noticing a lot of aggression between the fish, does this settle down? The small leleupi is the bully in the tank.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Gerald

I'm not sure about the sizes of those fish but I bet you will go through another cycle. I would have waited on the syno until there is some algae, or at least some driftwood for him.

I'm not concerned about the 10ppm nitrate, its the 1ppm nitrIte I'm worried about. I'd keep up with water changes and I would hold off feeding for a day since all those pellets were in there.

Like I said, I don't know much about cichlids but I know they can be very aggressive. My syno is in a temporary home with a Yellow Lab that loves to nip.

Back
Top Bottom