29 Gal Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonniecita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am currently (newbie) fishless cycling my 29 gal tank and would love some stocking ideas. The tank is for my children. I'm looking for EASY, hardy fish that are pretty and my children will enjoy.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Glo Fish Danios are bright, active, and very hardy. Platys and Guppys are also colorful and hardy. I would do...

6 Glo Danios
3 MALE Guppies
2 MALE Platies
10 Neon Tetras
1 Mystery Snail

Colorful, hardy, and fun :)

Giant danios. They are awesome because of their fast swimming and trout like appearance. And they never hesitate to eat all the food you give them so food never floats around.

Colorful, active and hardy!

Plus you should consider the level with which your selections occupy the water column, meaning you want fish that stay on the top of the tank, species that swim in the middle and species that stay in the bottom.

TOP LEVEL
Espei Rasbora - cool little top level schoolers with neat body patterns. Mine are very active and they are usually readily available.

Long Fin Leopard Danios - the long fins, cool leopard pattern and the "I'm all over the tank" attitude make them a really fun fish. I listed as top but they do go allover.

MIDDLE/BOTTOM
Rummy Nose Tetras - beautiful fish with red noses and checkered tails plus they are tight schoolers and stay together - mine are bottom to mid range swimmers and are Super Active- I love this species!

Cardinals - they are just beautiful and make great companions.

BOTTOM
Small group of cories (5-6)

A small Pleco: bristlenose, pitbull or my favorite "Pucallpa" Gold -- kids love catfish, grown ups too!

SNAIL
Nerite - cool patterns and its neat and easy to keep snails.

This is just as couple of suggestions, there are so many great species that will work well in as 29.

There is a chance your kids might lose interest, so pick out fish you like as well... ;)

Have fun and be patient!

In the end all that's important is doing 5% water change a day and 10-15% water change. If you are overstocked like me. But water changes fix almost every problem with fish. Water changes cure almost every illness even with us what do yap know lol. 8 glasses a day

Colorful, active and hardy!

Plus you should consider the level with which your selections occupy the water column, meaning you want fish that stay on the top of the tank, species that swim in the middle and species that stay in the bottom.

TOP LEVEL
Espei Rasbora - cool little top level schoolers with neat body patterns. Mine are very active and they are usually readily available.

Long Fin Leopard Danios - the long fins, cool leopard pattern and the "I'm all over the tank" attitude make them a really fun fish. I listed as top but they do go allover.

MIDDLE/BOTTOM
Rummy Nose Tetras - beautiful fish with red noses and checkered tails plus they are tight schoolers and stay together - mine are bottom to mid range swimmers and are Super Active- I love this species!

Cardinals - they are just beautiful and make great companions.

BOTTOM
Small group of cories (5-6)

A small Pleco: bristlenose, pitbull or my favorite "Pucallpa" Gold -- kids love catfish, grown ups too!

SNAIL
Nerite - cool patterns and its neat and easy to keep snails.

This is just as couple of suggestions, there are so many great species that will work well in as 29.

There is a chance your kids might lose interest, so pick out fish you like as well... ;)

Have fun and be patient!

Thanks so much! Which ones and how many would you add first? I am halfway through the cycling process, so hopefully the tank will be ready in time for Christmas!

In the end all that's important is doing 5% water change a day and 10-15% water change. If you are overstocked like me. But water changes fix almost every problem with fish. Water changes cure almost every illness even with us what do yap know lol. 8 glasses a day

Water changes everyday? Is this for small tanks only?

I wouldn't be doing water changes every day.
Just use your test kit and do a water change either when your nitrates necessitate it, or at least once a week.
A 5% water change only turns over 30% water per week. You could just be doing that 30-50% on one day of the week with a lot less work.

Back
Top Bottom