29 gallon stocking ideas for classroom tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NadiaW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
I work as a lead in a 2 year old daycare classroom and I'm looking to stock a 29 gallon community tank. I wish I could do plants to, but im not sure I could handle the upkeep that requires.
I'm looking for 1-2 eyepiece fish, I thought maybe angel fish but I know sometimes their fins can be easily damaged by the decorations or other fish. What would be some other good ideas besides that?I heard gouramis might work but I have no experience with them.
I have no idea what would be the best swarm fish so I'm up for anything. XD
Finally, I was thinking of some corys for the bottom but once again, I don't have a specific idea of what kind I want.
What kind of decorations would work best for these fish?

I would suggest going to a fish store and seeing what you like. Live bearers can be supercute, tetras come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Danios are very active. Corys are great to watch when in large enough numbers to see their natural school behaviour. My concern with 2 year olds would be getting something big enough and colourful enough to hold their attention, so possibly small schooling wouldnt be a good choice. Maybe a group of mollys would be good. They get to a decent size, and can be very sociable. A 29 gallon would accommodate a decent group of fully grown mollys.

As for decorations and tank set up, i would really consider a low tech planted tank with some driftwood and rocks. Java ferns, java moss, anubias, and amazon swords really dont take any effort apart from turning a light on for 8ish hours a day, and the benefits in terms of keeping water parameters under control and having a natural looking aquascape will make it worthwhile.

Corys are hard to keep , for a school tank . Gouramis , tetras , pleco . # gouramis, 6-8 tetras go from there

Back
Top Bottom