29g cycle complete, stocking ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anibis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cycled the tank with 1 male molly, 1 female platy. I like the fish as they are very active, but I'm not sure I want more due to their insane ability to breed. I've already had 2 batches of fry from my platy. My molly seems to have a taste for fry, so none have survived. I don't have an issue with letting the adults eat fry, but I'm concerned that if I stock 4 platy and 4 mollies (1m,3f) as I planned, one fry will survive here and there, and in a year I'll be grossly overstocked.

So what do I do? I could just leave the male molly by himself, and get a couple more non preggo female platys. Or not get anymore live bearers, and go a different direction (while keeping my current fishy friends).

I do have hard water (don't have a test to know the exact number yet), pH is 7.2ish.

My kinda current stocking plan:
1 molly
3 platies
1 blue gourami
2 bolivian rams (added last, in a couple months)
...not sure what else

That leaves me at 74% according to AqAdvisor.

Any other ideas? I don't want tetra's or barbs.

I would pass on the blue gourami honestly they get large and can be aggressive fish they get around 6 inches. My suggestion is a stock of

1- Molly
1 male platy 2 females
2- Rams
8- Cardinal Tetra or Harlequin rasbora
6- Cory Cats

Sounds like a great start! Some say mollies and platys are ok by themselves, though some say they get lonely. If you do get more, like a total of 2 of each, I would recommend the same sex. If you do get too many fry, chances are you won't, you can always sell them or give them to a local fish store.

Do you have any bottom feeders? Consider corydoras, a bristlenose Pleco, or some ever so popular neon or Cardinal tetras. Just some things to Google. Enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah everyone seems to love a school of cories, I had already been thinking about getting some. I plan on switching my substrate to sand once my tank has been stable for a few weeks, so they will have to wait until then.

I don't want Tetra's, Rasbora's are intriguing though. I don't recall seeing them at the few lfs I've been to, there's another fish only store further away I can try though.

I've read differing opinions on Gourami. A lot of people say they're fine if you only get one, and they get up to 4". I really wanted one as an additional fry hunter more than anything. The Rams will hunt fry as well correct?

So maybe now:
1 molly
3 platies (1m2f) <--why not 3f to avoid fry? Or will they be happier with a male?
8 Harlequin rasbora
6 Cory Cats
2 Bolivian Rams

This would put me at 101%

Oh yah if you don't want fry no males they don't need them you are better off not getting them. Personally I like banded kuhli loaches more instead of Cory's check them out!

I would do something like

1- Molly
3- Platys
8-Kuhli Loach
8- Harlequin Rasbora
2- Rams

I don't trust aquadvisor personally just saying.

Oh yah if you don't want fry no males they don't need them you are better off not getting them. Personally I like banded kuhli loaches more instead of Cory's check them out!

I would do something like

1- Molly
3- Platys
8-Kuhli Loach
8- Harlequin Rasbora
2- Rams

I don't trust aquadvisor personally just saying.

+1 to all of this, except that if you don't want fry it would be better to get all males, because you can sometimes buy females pregnant and not know it, but it isn't a major issue.

Loaches are too snake like for my taste, kinda creepy looking imo. ;)

I picked up a couple more Platies today. I got 2 small females hoping neither were preggo. Once I got them home and pulled the bag out of the cooler there were maybe 6 fry, some were swimming, others not fully developed. Both fish then proceeded to eat the fry, so no harm no foul. I'm sure I'll continue to see fry here and there for the next couple months, hopefully the adults will ensure that none survive. I'm so mean.

If any get too big to be eaten I'll just put them in my 5g until they are mature enough to give to the lfs.

The lfs said they don't carry Rasbora's, so I'll have to find one that does. Luckily I live in a big city, so there are lots of options.

My plan is to change my substrate to sand in a week, then add my 6 cories a week after that. Then 8 Rasbora's 2 weeks after that. My ram's will be last, probably after my tank hits the 3 month mark.

Is this spread out enough? I don't wanna have a mini cycle or anything.

Loaches are too snake like for my taste, kinda creepy looking imo. ;)

I picked up a couple more Platies today. I got 2 small females hoping neither were preggo. Once I got them home and pulled the bag out of the cooler there were maybe 6 fry, some were swimming, others not fully developed. Both fish then proceeded to eat the fry, so no harm no foul. I'm sure I'll continue to see fry here and there for the next couple months, hopefully the adults will ensure that none survive. I'm so mean.

If any get too big to be eaten I'll just put them in my 5g until they are mature enough to give to the lfs.

The lfs said they don't carry Rasbora's, so I'll have to find one that does. Luckily I live in a big city, so there are lots of options.

My plan is to change my substrate to sand in a week, then add my 6 cories a week after that. Then 8 Rasbora's 2 weeks after that. My ram's will be last, probably after my tank hits the 3 month mark.

Is this spread out enough? I don't wanna have a mini cycle or anything.

Instead of getting male platies you could get some male swordtails. To me they are an extremely underrated fish and one of my favourite

I would not get swordtails they get big have a big bioload to. Your plan sounds good to me!

I agree. Swordtails get huge and have a huge bioload. I personally love tanks with small fish, so there is a lot more activity, because you can stock waaaaaay more.

For example: 2 swordtail = 3 platies = 20 chili rasbora. Part of that is length, but also part of it is that livebearers create a lot more waste.

Back
Top Bottom