Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

29g, problems with a guppy

Hi everyone! this is my first post and I guess I should give you all the info on my tank,
29g tropical with 4 bleeding heart tetra's, 6 cardinal tetra's,4 cory's,1 3" pleco and a feeder guppy that hitched a ride when I got the pleco.

Now some history, up until a week ago it had three fantail goldfish, the pleco and the guppie. Everyone got on very well. I adopted the three goldfish out to a new 75g tank, waited a few days and then added the B/H tetra's and the cory's, waited a few more days and added the cardinals.
Everyone seems to be doing very well the only problem being that the guppie is chasing and nipping at the cardinals... he keeps them hearded into one corner of the tank and they almost never come out.
the tank has plenty of hiding places ie. plants, caves,a tree stump (all decor is fake) but the guppy just seems to want the whole tank to himself. He is acting like some of the tiger barbs I've seem going after other fish at the LFS. Is there anything I can do or should I move him? He's actually nipped off a piece of one of the cardinals fins.
thanks,
Ben.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What else want in to the 75g. If he was comfortable with the fish you moved, could you but him back with them?

drobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I would add some female guppies to the tank or if you don't want fry, some more males. I would not transfer him over to the new tank if you are housing goldies in there. Goldies are cold water fish and should not be kept with tropicals IMO. Are you sure the guppy is male? If so he may be wanting to breed.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks, I think he is a she!! She has a little spot on her belly.... does this make he/she a female?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The anal fin will be fan shaped if it is female, more straight and pointed if male. If a female you can add other females with no problem but you still may end up with fry as females can store sperm for several months.

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi Zagz, I added another guppy and the problem was solved almost instantly!
thanks.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad to hear that helped. Depending on the sexes of guppies you may end up with fry soon.

-----------
Site Administrator

Tags
29 gallon, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com