2nd Tank- 5 Gallon Fluval Chi...stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lelouchzeta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
In honor of superbowl sunday, our apartment complex was giving away "bowls" with bettas.. :ermm:
We got two sweet little female veiltail bettas with the intention of buying a larger aquarium for them. They are in small separate bowls at this time, and I ordered the Fluval Chi 5 gallon tank WITH a lid.
Does anyone have experience with this equipment?
Is there anything else that we can add?
Some ideas we had were to add 1 or 2 of one of the following: endler's guppies, chilli raspboras, or possibly some celestial pearl danios.
Your thoughts?
Thanks!! :)

Look into betta sororities--even the females don't always get along with each other, especially in tight quarters (and 5 gallons is considered tight quarters). If you really want to try both of them in the tank, I would suggest a LOT of plants (real or fake--I prefer real :) ) and/or decorations--it will break line of sight and give them each the opportunity to set up their own territories.

If you have each in a separate tank, you can add shrimp and snails...I really wouldn't suggest any other fish, but some may argue you can add a small school of CPDs. Just make sure it still heavily planted/decorated to give them room to get away and for the betta to set up a territory. However, even in a ten gallon, my guy likes to screw with his tank mates. Depends on your fish. ^_^

Hm I feel like I am already heading for a third tank. LOL
I really like celestial pearl danios. I feel like their old name, galaxy rasboras, was really appropriate in the descriptive sense if not biologically accurate.
Has anyone heard anything (good or bad) about the tank itself?
I want my bettas to be happy and healthy and not scratched up by fake plants. I'll buy some java ferns :) maybe I'll make a little mini divider with them. Hopefully their attention spans will make that effective.
One is considerably larger and seems more apt to frilling and showing dominance so it seems like it will be fairly obvious who is boss.

Everything I've heard about the tank is that it works just fine for lighter stocking and plants. I've considered getting one or an Edge for another betta--but regular 5 gallons are cheaper *lol*

I know you'll probably get some discussion on this, but I wouldn't divide it, especially since the Chi's are more height than length or width. They really wouldn't have much swimming room, and I'm not sure how well the in-built filter would work with that--I've never heard of anyone dividing a Chi.

Java ferns are good. So are anubias (a plant that is nearly impossible to kill so long as it's attached to a rock or driftwood and not buried). My betta loves twining in and out of his anubias and amazon swords and sleeping in his floating plants--he has hornwort, but I'm keeping my eye out for dwarf water lettuce, too.

I didn't really mean to put a real divider, just sort of something for the bettas to hide in and wind in and out of.
I'm hoping that would soften their tempers

Ah, ok. It would definitely help.

I was researching dwarf puffers (I know, random switch :) ), and they talk about filling the tank with "things" if there's more than one in the tank--mostly talking about plants--to keep aggression down. From what I can find, it's pretty much the same thing with female bettas unless you get two who are just that friendly. Like I said, look into betta sororities. You'll find a lot of good information on keeping female bettas together. :)

I definitely want to keep them alone together if that will decrease the potential for aggression. The lighting is a bit iffy so I'll probably get a few java ferns.
I am really tempted to get a puffer tank. Their personalities crack me up.

Java ferns, anubias are good, and a floating plant would be my recommendation--my betta loves his hornwort, you just need to vacuum up the shed needles during your normal tank cleaning. Water sprite's another good option--both hang down in the water, so aren't just on the surface. All good low light plants.

Yeah, I love the dwarf puffers. I'm going to set up a DP tank when I have the money (and the tank opens up from treating sick corys), hence why that one was on my mind and in the example *lol*

Back
Top Bottom