3 gallon eclipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamchris

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased an all-in-one 3 gallon setup by Elipse - http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Gallon-Acrylic-Aquarium-System/dp/B000MVLEM0 . I've done the whole freshwater thing before, but had to get rid of my 36 gallon since I moved into dorm housing. I know how easy it is to overstock, so I came here for some suggestions on how to stock my new tank.

I'm sure you've already thought betta by now, and you're right :) (going with a crowntail). I was also thinking of stocking it with ghost shrimp and seeing how long they'd live, or pick up another amano shrimp like I used to have. Another possibility is a snail.

I'd just like to hear any feedback you ladies and gents might have on my thoughts so far, and especially any alternative ideas you might have! I know I'm limited by the 3 gallon, but I wanted it to fit on my desk. Thanks for all your help!

I used to have a 3 gallon Eclipse with a betta in it. IMO, the filtration is a little strong for a betta. I put a pantyhose toe over the intake stem and the outflow area and this seemed to help some. Be very, very careful if you try to alter the bio-wheel flow. I tried and ended up with a small puddle on my desk. I tried to "dam up" the water leaving the bio-wheel and only created a "flood" effect behind the bio-wheel.

Another possibility is getting 5 small neon tetras. That may seem like overstocking in a 3 gallon tank. I have never done this, so someone else may want to chime in. But the filter flow is pretty strong so maybe you can get away with 5 small fish if you remember your water changes once a week.

Oh man, back to water changes with a bucket now...I've been so spoiled changing the water in my fraternity's 60 gal with a Python. This is going to stink!

You guys think a betta, snail and shrimp would be overloading things? All I'd worry about is the snail dying and polluting up the place.

I would skip the Neons. I've kept them in even a 10g tank before and they weren't happy (hid all the time). Moved them to a 29g and they livened up. IMO they really need atleast a 20g.

Other options are a shrimp tank (consider Red Cherry Shrimp for more color) or Endlers (though I'd do all males).

The Ghost shrimp may or may not last long with the Betta. :)

If the current from the filter is strong, definitely do something to lessen it for a Betta.

This is what I am using right now in my Eclipse Sys 6. I use it as a qt tank and have a very small goldfish in there that was HATING the current. My mom is getting one for Christmas and I have already made this baffle for hers as well.
It was pretty simple to put on. I've had it on there for a week and the tape is getting a tad cloudy so I'd imagine it will have to be replaced every couple of weeks or so.

Good luck!

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/347/

Back
Top Bottom