3 questions about algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I use a phosphate remover with a silica remover, regular water changes, I have the lights on 9am-5pm
I have a few plants and they are there just to absorb spare nutrients and for the fish to eat.
I don't have loads of fish as I just chose not to.
ammonia- 0ppm
No2- 0ppm
No3- 0ppm

Questions:

1, will everything above be good enough to stop or prevent any algae?
2, is a silica remover a worth the money as iv only just started using it?
3, as I keep everything at 0ppm will that help a lot?

Thank you I'll add any information needed

Plants need Nitrogen and Phosphorus to grow. They get Nitrogen from NO3 and Phosphorus from PO4 (Phosphate). Have 0/0 readings on these will in the long run stunt plants, and maybe even kill them. It will also encourage more algae growth, not less (depending on your lighting). Algae can grow readily in nutrient imbalances, while plants cannot do well at all in a nutrient starved environment.

Unfortunately, the environment that is good for plants is also good for algae. It is difficult to maintain a lush planted tank without at least some algae growth. The key is controlling it as much as possible and solving nutrient imbalances to keep the plants out-competing the algae.

As for the silicate remover, it might help with diatoms, but really isn't necessary at all. I have kept a lot of tanks that were nearly algae free and have never used one. Most tanks will go through a diatom phase when first setup, but they go away after some time and usually don't return.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom