3 ryukins, not babys anymore O.o

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I purchased three baby ryukins a while back. They were sooooo tiny. Smaller than a golf ball. Now they've gotten bigger. I know I need to invest in a larger tank for them but I dont know what size. I also have a pretty small sucker fish. He's fine for the tank size I have them in now but I need a bigger tank. Its only a 5 gallon. Any advice on what size of tank to invest in and anything specific to ryukins. I've been feeding them goldfish food and changing the water every two weeks along with water tests Once every month or so. I bought a ryukin a few years ago not knowing much about fish and the tank was way to small for his size. I ended up falling in love with him though and want these guys to have a happy healthy home :)

To support your goldfishes' needs long term I wouldn't invest in anything less than a 40G Breeder tank. I suggest to set it up asap with double filtration (Key to goldfish keeping :lol: ) and fishless cycle it with seeded materials ASAP so your goldfish could get in the tank asap and out of the 5 Gallon.

Research Prior to your purchasing is the best advice I ever got. Ryukins are beautiful fish that get between 6-8" and can not live in a 5 gallon full term.

What kind of filter would you suggest. There no way I can afford a brand new tank but I've seen used 45gal's for about 35$ and I could afford that. How much would that filter cost me?

Depends. For that tank I wold suggest two HOBs or a canister. ($70-100)

I personally like aqua clears, so two aqua clear 30s or 50s would work.

Have no experience with Canisters.

Check out amazon or ebay for filter deals. You want something that filters atleast 450-500gph (gallons per hour) on a 45gal tank. You can do this with two HOB type filters or a canister.

Even the largest one of these filters is only rated at 340gph and runs almost $50. The reviews people wrote on your link are not very positive either. For about the same price, amazon has 400+gph hob filters as well (marineland, aqueon & aquaclear) as well as ebay. I would check out these sites before choosing one.

I'll check both, I was at school when I was looking and amazon and ebay are blocked

Back
Top Bottom