3 weeks cycling High nitrites and nitrates zero ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerilynne5903

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling a 29 gal high aquarium for 3 weeks with 3 zebra danios and Rasboras. I added a used filter from my 55 g to help kick start it.

Yesterday I tested and my nitrites were the boldest purple ive seen and my nitrates the boldest red ever! No ammonia.(Ph looks good.)? I did a 25% percent water change and added the quick start and retested today. Still the same. ? My fish are eating and swimming. ? Should I water change again today?

Have these readings happened suddenly? What sort of parameters have you been seeing up to now? What has been a typical water change schedule so far? How much? How often?

Yes you need to do a water change. Several. Your target should be to keep ammonia + nitrite combined no higher than 0.5ppm.

Lets say your nitrite is 5ppm (could be higher as that's the highest the test chart goes, assuming API liquid nitrite test). To get to your 0.5ppm target would take 3 or 4 x 50% water changes. Do them an hour or two apart.

Nitrite poisoning is a slow killer. It causes organ failure over a prolonged timeframe, so might not show any symptoms shorter term. Aquarium salt is often cited as being a treatment for nitrite poisoning if you feel it is necessary. Depends how long they have been living in those conditions.

On Friday faint purple nitrites and higher oranger nitrates them yesterday checked and the darkest nitrite color and deepest red nitrates. I havent needed to do any water changes up until yesterday. I have 3 zebra danios and 3 harlequin rasboras to help with a fish cycle. I also put another filter from my cycled 55 to help boost it. I rinsed it out in the tank prior to putting fish in it. I have a slime coating and then algea started growing. I don't want to disrupt the cycle and or hurt my fish. They seem happy and are eating.

Your nitrite is at levels that will kill your fish. 0.5ppm nitrite is plenty to cycle a tank. Higher than that risks harm to your fish.

I just did a 9g water change. Added 3 caps of quick start to the 29g tall tank. Now I wait and see what happens. I sure hope the levels come down. I'm ready for this tank to fully cycle so I can move my male green swordtail (Pete) over so he will leave my two pregnant red/orange swordtails (Dottie and Miranda) alone. I have 2 baby female swords that are (Dotties) about 5 to 6 weeks old (Trixie and Trina) that I do not want pregnant. Plus one baby swordtail that just showed itself yesterday that's probably a couple weeks old. I started out with one 55g.. Now I have a 3g, 5g, 10g. 15g, 20L, 29H and of course the 55g. Lol. Keeps me busy, for sure. I count my fish daily.

That's a 1/3 water change. So if your nitrite is 5 that will bring it down to about 3.5ppm. If you are doing 1/3 water changes you will need to 6 of those back to back to get to a safe level.

Do 50% water changes. 4 of them.

Will my tank continue to cycle? How often on the 50%? Once daily?I just checked the level. Looking like 1.0 to 1.50..

Thank you, I appreciate your time in responding. It's only been since yesterday on the Nitrite and Nitrate spike. Its not registering any ammonia and my ph is good. I'll do one more water change today and recheck tomorrow.

0.5ppm nitrite is enough to cycle a tank. More than that is harmful to your fish.

IMO opinion the health of the fish in the tank is more important than having harmful levels of waste because it might slightly speed up how long it takes to cycle a tank. But, you have to decide on what your own priorities are. If you want to risk your fish then let the water parameters get worse. This is an age old way of cycling tanks. Put some fish in a tank. When they die, replace them. When they stop dying, you are cycled.

Keep doing water changes about an hour or two apart until you are below that 0.5ppm target. Then test daily. If ammonia + nitrite combined is above that 0.5ppm then change water until you are below that target again. This process typically takes 6 to 8 weeks. You are some way through this process already as you are seeing nitrite, but it could easily be another 3 or 4 weeks to cycle your tank.

I posted a full description of a fish in cycle in this thread. Post #4.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/what-to-do-about-this-fluffy-slime-379863.html

Aiken,

Thank you so much. I did trial an error on my 55g. I lost Peggy, Penelope ( swordtails) Rebeka and Sunny (gold dust mollies. ������ Pete (green Swordtail and Patrick (gold dust mollie) made it, however my 10 year old put Patrick to rest a few days ago, as he wasn't doing to good after the harsh trial and error problems, one right after another. My other 4 tanks I had no problem cycling and now this 29 is giving me fits. My dauggter started her first 15H tank today, including washing the rocks and driftwood thenadding the quick start. She also test my tanks when asked. Shes quite helpful and pointed out that the nitrite was uh, way too purple.

Despite as weird as it may sound, we name most of our fish and we want them to survive. ❤️ time to do a 50% water change. Thanks again. I appreciate the tips and I will read your post on cycling. 100%. Having aquariums 35 years ago wasn't as hard as it seems these days.

Jerilynne

Just letting you know, my nitrites ate nitrates are good to go. Heavy sighs. Now let's hope they stay there. Back to once a day feeding.

Jerilynne

Having aquariums 35 years ago wasn't as hard as it seems these days.

Stock lightly. Change water regularly. Your tank will cycle without you knowing anything about cycling. Even if you dont do these, ammonia isnt as toxic as you might have been led to believe, and nitrite can take weeks to show symptoms by which time your tank has cycled and your fish now has a "mystery" illness because your water is fine and it isnt put down to the cycle even though it is.

Last edited:
I currently only have 6 small fish in the 29g high tank. I wont be putting anymore in there until after it cycles. Then my male swordtail, Pete will be moved. I was so excited that my newest baby sword came out last night. Yep, another female. Lol. Im guessing 2.5 to 3 weeks old. So cute to watch them, but I do not want to be over run with swordtails. Have a great day.

Jerilynnr

Back
Top Bottom