3 weeks into fishless cycle?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, love the site.

Im having problems doing a fishless cycle.

During the first week, I added household ammonia to 3ppm level. First week went ok, I had to top up little bits every couple of days. No nitrite though. Then a week later I had to add a bit more, quite a bit more. Done it but think I added too much. So done a 25% water change.

Going well again, had a bacterial bloom, but, since that topup, I havent had to add anymore ammonia since then, almost 2 and a half weeks.

I tested my water and the pH was about 7 ish, but nothing happened. So someone suggested I add a level teaspoon of sodium bicarb per 50 litres, so 3, to increase pH and KH (as my water is very very soft).

I dont that 2 days ago now, and currant stats are, pH approx 8. Ammonia 3ppm, Nitrite 0ppm and Nitrate 0ppm. GH 71ppm and KH 107ppm. Water temp is 29oC.

I have noticed the water has gone cloudy again.

Has the cycle started again? I still havent had any change in ammonia level. Whats happening?

Thanks guys.:(

Hi! Welcome to AA!!!! We will try to help you the best we can. Cycling does take alot of patience. We need to find out some information to figure out what is going on. Has your ph remained stable in the 7 range so far? If so, i wouldnt worry about it right now. Did you add an appropriate amount of water conditioner for the size of your tank when you filled it up & antime you are adding water? Without it, chlorine/chloramines will kill off your bacteria before it even has a chance to grow. Have you rinsed or changed any of your filter media? This will also have an effect. What type of ammonia are you using? Does it have any dyes, perfumes, additives or foam/bubble when you shake the bottle? This too can be detrimental to your cycle. Has your ammonia levels dropped to any degree at any point in time so far? Please read the fishless cycle sticky in this section if you have not done so already. We are here to help-please feel free to ask any & all questions! :)

Hi and welcome!

Don't bother with the Bicarb, it generally isn't needed. A PH of 7 is fine but if it drops into the low 6's it can stall the cycle. Do you know the PH of your tap water? Test your PH out of the tap and then let a glass of tap water sit out for 24 hours; this will let it degass and will be your PH and what the tank's normal PH should be. Cycling can wreak havoc with the PH so fluctuations during cycling are common; usually a water change will restore it if it starts to drop.

Are you adding dechlorinator to the water prior to putting it into the tank? What test kit are you using?

Try a full water change and redose ammonia, don't add anything else except dechlorinator and let's see what happens.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yep I've dechlorinated my water using Nutrafin Aqua Plus. I haven't changed anything in my filter since switch on, same filter sponges are there. Juwel Bioflow Compact. It has a carbon and nitrate sponge dunno if that would affect anything.

The ammonia I'm using is 10% stuff. Basically pure. Max Ammonia it's called.

Normal pH of tap water is 7.4, tank is currently about 8 due to bicarb in there.

The ammonia did seem to drop in the first week, that's why I had to top up the very last time, but since then, nothing.

Just tested ammonia again today. Still no drop :-(

What test kit are you using? And how high are you dosing ammonia?

I don't see anything else that sticks out that could be causing issues. Some tanks just take longer to cycle. Can you get any seeded media from someone with an established tank? If not, AngelsPlus sells "active" sponges from their fish tanks and they've helped many on here -- myself included -- with their cycles. If you get one just make sure it says "active" next to it or else you're buying a plain filter.

Hi.

I use the API test kits. Dosing to 3 ppm. It's ever so slightly lower than that.

I have some gravel from an established tank in mine, and I've just got some water from another established tank which was squeezed from the coarse filter sponge which is the sponge where the bacteria establish according to juwel. So I'm hoping that will help.

Back
Top Bottom