30 Gallon planted new tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

23jim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have had African cichlid tank for 15 years that I am converting to small community tank (never had one of these my whole life).

I am setting up my 36 X 12 X 16 inch tank with a sand substrate (white petco brand - I had black gravel, but wanted sand for cory's, and what's more different than black). I would like ground cover to at least 50% of the sand. Penguin 350B aquarium (rated for 50 or 60 gallons I think).

I have Hard Alkaline water, but I decided to give this set up a try.

AgAdvisor says my planned stocking is good, it is:
5 Adolfo cory
6 Black Neon Tetra
12 Cardinal Tetra
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Bristlenose Pleco

Filtration capacity at 128%
35% recommended water changes weekly (Tetra's I am sure)
It has my stocking at 97%

I am adding a large piece of driftwood and some rockwork. I currently only have a 20 watt hood strip light, but would like to grow Java Moss or something similar as a ground cover and other low light plants. I know the tetra's want low light, so maybe I can get away with the one strip light.

Is sand and low light going to ruin my plans or can I someone give me some planting ideas/suggestions?

Also would three rams work (I would take out a couple cardinal tetras). I heard they pair up, so I am not sure if three would be a good idea.

Anybody have any similar set ups?

Back
Top Bottom