30 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish 4.0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon tank.im getting: 5 platys, 8 neon tetras, 1-2 Moss balls, 1-2 plants, and piece of drift wood. I am wanting some kind of fish that is small, can be tankmates with platys and neons and are easy to breed. I do not want any other livebeares. if you have any suggestion for a fish then comment or email please.

Rams? Mine bred in my 22gallon within 2 weeks of me putting them in their. Some might disagree but another possible idear could be corydoras or bristlenoses. Both of these fish have bred frequently in the tanks I have had them in. Corydoras will need a bit more work if you want the fry to live compared to the other 2. Hope this helps.

Blue rams

so if I get
5 platys
8 neon tetras
2 rams
so the rams won't be aggressive when breeding?

Don't start with rams.. They're very delicate, not ideal for a new setup or fish keeper.. What are you wanting out if a breeding pair? High resale value? More fish? Most any dwarf cichlid will get aggressive during spawning, some more than others..

Last edited:
Fish

I am wanting to sell the fry. would tiger barbs work?

Tiger barbs are a dime a dozen.. Selling fry is really only going to benifit you if you have a specialty Lfs that will take them and most likely you'll only get trade points.. Tans would be your best seller, apisto's could be your best bet.. I bred my cac's unintentionally, my Lfs is giving me $6/ea in trade for 1" fish.. I've been raising them for just under 2 months and they're still 1/2".. After all the expenses of running a grow out tank it's really not financially worth it, more for fun at this point.. Kribs would be an easy one too..

I would look into getting a breeding tank if you are really dedicated. Cichlids would be best because they take great care of the fry unlike many egg layers. If you have caves, bristlenose plecos would be nice. Some corydoras are easy to breed.

Back
Top Bottom