30 Gallon Tank flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InthaCloudz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first actual fish tank without being a child and I want to raise some African cichlids. I was curious if I could put some live grass in there, and possibly some shrimp to live also ( didn't know if the pH levels match up). If so, I was checking flooring for my tank and I was looking into Eco complete substrates. I didn't know if I should get the plant substrate IF I can have all them living together or if I should just stick with the African Cichlids substrate.

Welcome to AA :)

Generally africans don't mix well with plants.. they like em too much. But, your tank is too small for most africans, except a few species of tanganyikans.

Okay thanks! What would he a good starter fish, but still aggressive for a tank with plants?

Most of your dwarf cichlids from south america would fit that bill. They'll get a little aggressive around breeding time, but generally peaceful otherwise. Apistogrammas, rams, or you could even look at kribensis which are an african cichlid, but nothing like mbuna, peacocks, and haps.

So if I get, say the dwarf cichlid or the Kribensis, should I get the african cichlid substrate or should I get the plant substrate?

InthaCloudz said:
So if I get, say the dwarf cichlid or the Kribensis, should I get the african cichlid substrate or should I get the plant substrate?

You could do the plant substrate. The dwarfs are generally very good about staying away from plants.

Doesn't it depend on the fish though? Because don't kribs spend a lot of time on the bottom?

Fishkeeper26 said:
Doesn't it depend on the fish though? Because don't kribs spend a lot of time on the bottom?

Partially, but as long as the gravel is fine (which Eco complete is) the cichlids shouldn't have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom