30G Freshwater Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajmckerihen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I recently set up a 30 gallon freshwater aquarium, it's finally all cycled and good to go. Anyways, as this is my first aquarium I've set up, I went to my fish store and walked around and wrote down all the fish that interested me/were listed as communal fish/were in my price range.

This is the list:
- Glass catfish
- Neon tetras
- Assorted platy's
- Guppies
- Assorted small angelfish
- Swordtails
- Barbs
- Redtail shark
- Lyretail mollies
- Polypterus

There are already 3 nerite snails in the tank.

I guess my question is if there are some of these fish that cannot live together, or wouldn't get along. Or some that you'd recommend over others etc. I realize I couldn't get all them, seeing as the tank itself isn't too big, so I'm trying to decide what will work best. I have many live plants in the aquarium as well if that plays a roll in what I should purchase.

:thanks:

Forget the glass catfish unless you're doing a group of them and nothing else. Cross the redtail shark and polypterus off the list. Neon tetras would do better in an established tank than a new setup. You could keep a single angel in a 30, but not with most barbs because they're usually fin nippers. The rest are livebearers, and aside from possibly overcrowding the tank with growing fry in the long run shouldn't be a problem.

If you add all male guppies and some platies, you would have a colorful tank and not need to worry about having too many fry, the platies are harder to sex and you may end up getting a pair.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm saying that it's easier to see the difference between a male guppy and a female guppy. With platies, one gender isn't less colorful so unless you look closely you could make a mistake with determining the gender.

Oh, you just have to look at there bottom back fins, males and females are completely different.

Ya, the male's gonopodium is pretty easy to spot once they're a couple months old. Most lfs stock are young adults anyway, not half-grown juvies.

Back
Top Bottom