35 hex startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure, something black/silver, I wanted to keep fish with minimal coloring, I thought the contrast would be nice since I have no background and my walls are white

I had a nice silver, too bad he/she was mean to the other angels. It would've looked great in your tank.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418227076.816898.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418227097.198282.jpg
Don't mind the upside down plant. I have five java ferns I haven't tied down yet they're just floating around. Also have an anubias in there now that almost got murdered in my 55 by my silver dollars, and got an assassin snail! Some big pond snails in there for a snack yum yum
I also got some black blasting sand so I think that's going in soon. Hitting the LFS today to look for more hatchets. I adore them.

No fishies today but I grabbed another assassin snail and added the substrate after a ridiculous amount of rinsing
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418249190.125852.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418249221.538013.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418249239.548982.jpg

Assassins are great and interesting to watch. Is black beauty sand safe for cories and other bottom dwellers?

I've never used it before so this is a first for me, but in this forum and other sources indicate it should be fine. When I was washing it it felt like lighter pool filter sand, it was smooth with small granules. I think there are different grain sizes that you can get but I would think it should be fine.

I've never used it before so this is a first for me, but in this forum and other sources indicate it should be fine. When I was washing it it felt like lighter pool filter sand, it was smooth with small granules. I think there are different grain sizes that you can get but I would think it should be fine.

Cool! I thought it was sharp :blink:

Not sure, anything low light I can get my hands on for relatively cheap.
I've got some java moss, java fern, and dwarf water lettuce in there now.
This is my first attempt at plants so low maintenance is better :)

Hey Egg
Be careful with the blasting sand Its not sand but coal slag. It is magnetic so if you use any kind of mag cleaner for algae it will pick up the slag and scratch the glass. I found this out the hard way.

Yeah I could tell it was coal when I was washing it cause it smelled! Good to know. I use a big brush, I used to use the magnetic ones but when I switched to pool filter sand in my 55 it was hard not to trap little pieces so it got retired and I went to brushes, but thank you for the heads up!

Tannins are starting to reduce with water changes. Got some dwarf water lettuce in there now an waiting for some more plants and seven more hatchets coming on Tuesday!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418515779.933614.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418515796.467920.jpg

Need some advice pals!
The hatchets didn't come in. I am having a hell of a time getting my hands on some of these. I'm done stocking tetras at ten for now. I was going to wait to add the angel last because I wanted everyone else to get situated territory wise before then. Since I can't find more hatchets, do you think it would be okay to add the angel first? I don't see why not just wanted some opinions. I'm waiting two weeks between stock additions at this point but I want to get this tank set so I can work on the other three that are waiting!

I don't see why not. All of my lfs are packed full of hatchets, surprised yours do not have em either.

I really like this thread. Great job with everything. It's funny that you have this thread because I wanted corys, an angel and some type of tetra in my next tank. I went into my LFS last week and there was a 35 gal hex tank and I thought to myself wow that's really cool and different. I've been wanting to try a planted tank too. I just moved out to CO and currently tankless since I couldn't bring my 55 with me... I think you did a great job and the tank looks AWESOME! I'll be watching this build and may have a couple questions for you haha. Great job and best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! This is my first time starting a tank with nothing in it so I'm sure it will continue to be a work in progress. I really have to tie the plants down and they weren't in great shape when I got them but oh well. I'll probably wait until the new year to grab some more fish (if I can wait that long haha!). I also plan on adding some more of the black beauty and my driftwood is still fuzzy at the moment.
One thing I will say about the tank is that it's kinda a pain to clean! I'm short so I have to stand on a chair and try not to fall in, plus the wood makes scrubbing the glass kind of annoying. If I can help at all ask away!

Thanks! This is my first time starting a tank with nothing in it so I'm sure it will continue to be a work in progress. I really have to tie the plants down and they weren't in great shape when I got them but oh well. I'll probably wait until the new year to grab some more fish (if I can wait that long haha!). I also plan on adding some more of the black beauty and my driftwood is still fuzzy at the moment.
One thing I will say about the tank is that it's kinda a pain to clean! I'm short so I have to stand on a chair and try not to fall in, plus the wood makes scrubbing the glass kind of annoying. If I can help at all ask away!

That's funny that you mentioned the whole pain of cleaning it bcuz my old man told me that it might be a little hard/annoying to clean ha. Ill be out of town this week/weekend but hopefully that hex tank is sill there when I get back and i may have to pick it up lol. I'll definitely be asking questions. Thanks I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom