36 Gal bowfront new setup advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CAfishing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a new 36 gal bowfront fresh water tank about 2 weeks ago. I added a fluval 206 filter which seems to work well and a 100watt heater. I initially
Did the water conditioning and waited a week before adding fish. I put in some different tetras to start and all seem fine except the ones from petco. Those all died :-(
The guy seemed to bag them in cold water for me (I suspect tap water as I did not see him get the water from the tank and he was near a sink and walked to tank with plastic container already full of water). When I questioned him on how cold the bag felt
He got defensive and even the manager jumped in to tell me it felt like it was correct and probably around 78 degrees. Now...I'm no fish expert, but I know cold water. Being new I didn't question any further. I brought them home and floated the bag to temp...Needless to say they were all dead within 36 hours! I now am seeking out the smaller independent stores to buy fish and supplies. No more big box!
I would like a nice planted tank so added some plants and grass. Not sure how they will do with the LED lights? Aqueon light bar with three light strips. One colormax and two day lights. I've been leaving them on at least 10 hrs a day and so far so good. Any advise on plants with these lights?
I used a course gravel because I liked the look, but after reading a bit it seems like fine grain or sand would have been better for plant growing?
Water temp is currently holding between 76-78 degrees and this will be a community tank.
Anyone have some good startup advise from your trials and errors?
Thanks! :)

Attachments

• image-987008857.jpg
    image-987008857.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1046260537.jpg
    image-1046260537.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 69
I reccomend on reading and studying up on the fish less cycle you need to perform one before adding any fish. If you really want bottom feeders later on like any type of loach or catfish I would reccomend switching the sharp gravel out for smooth stone or sand.

Thanks for the advise Josh7. I will read up on cycling my tank. I already have some fish in it so will just need to work backwards and see what happens :)

Alright just read up and try to cycle it before adding anything else.

Back
Top Bottom