36 Gallon Bowfront Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarkShadow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i'm new here. I wandered here and have been reading various posts and responses, and this seems to be a knowledgeable community, so I decided to join. I would love some ideas.

As the title says, I have a 36 gallon bow front, that I have begun cycling, and am wondering what type of species would best be suited for me. It currently has a Fluval C4 filter, black sand for the substrate, and granite colored stacked slate slabs as decor. (also have driftwood from a previous configuration that I am not using, but will consider) It has a Marineland Single Bright LED lighting system. It does not have a heater, (but getting one can be considered depending on the species' necessity, obviously). I still have not decided if I want to have live plants, simply because I don't know whether my Marineland LED lights are in the spectrum to support live plants. But, new lights can be considered if my intended species needs live plants.

Here's what it looks like now:

ynsv.jpg

And in "moon light" mode:

kuah.jpg

I am following the '1 inch per gallon' rule, and want fish that will make the very muted tank pop out, i.e. colorful fish. i'd like to have a variety of species, obviously something that will not grow too large (3" max) and although I'd love to have a variety of exotic species, I realize that trying to find a variety of fish that have the same water requirements, and that can get along, and also can be fed similar food can be a challenge.

I know there are many species that need to be kept by themselves, but i'd love to see what some combinations would be that would thrive in the environment that I have described. obviously, if a 36 gallon bow front could also house a small number of a specific species, cichlids for example, I would love to hear some of those ideas as well. I saw a school of freshwater puffers which would also be an interesting choice, but i know they can't be housed with other species.

Anyway, I want to research as much as I can regarding on what species i decide on or the recommended species now while my tank cycles, so I can ensure im being a responsible fish owner when I make my decision on my stocking.

Thank you in advance!

First of all, the inch per gallon rule is very inaccurate. Please don't follow it. It does not take into consideration things like bioload and territorial needs.

The first suggestion that comes to mind with your current set up, which is beautiful BTW, is some of the mbuna cichlids. These will take a lot of research to make sure they are compatible as far as aggression is concerned. I would look at some of the more peaceful ones. If I were on my computer I would link some profiles for you, but I can't quite do that from my phone.

Well I think everything needs planted! But that's just me! If you wanted to go with plants you could try some anubias, java ferns, java moss, hornwort, wisteria and there are a bunch more low light plants that will do ok in a low light tank.
That said a mbuna would be stunning with that set up!!!

Most mbuna would tear up plants in no time so if you decide to go that route plants would be a waste. If you go community plant away!

Thanks for the advice and the kind words.

My previous aquarium was completely different. It contained more wood, and live plants, and mimicked more of a natural warm water habitat, and the bluegill, bass and green sunfish all loved it. When they were relocated to a tackle shop's aquarium, I wanted to do something different, almost zen-like, and elected to go with the less natural black sand, contrasting against the white shale slabs, black bubble wand, and will probably replace the blue silicon tube with a black one.

That is why I'm looking for some species that will really stand out against the muted aquarium.

At this point, I'd love to be able to go the tropical route (taking in mind I'll probably have to add a heater) and have a variety of species, but my mind is still spinning....

Back
Top Bottom