Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

36 gallon bowfront stocking questions

So I have just gotten a 36 gallon bowfront started and I am just finishing up cycling it nitrite readings are dropping daily without water changes. Now comes the fun part stocking I'm super new to this so any advice would be great I want an angel fish as my center piece two small schools of fish one of 5 and one of 7 two rams blue or Bolivian, whichever would work best. I also want a bottom dweller(s) and maybe 2 honey gouramis? Is this doable? I have two 25 gallon sponge filters In opposite sides of the tank and a topfin 40 gallon I've got a bag of activated carbon in along with the cartridge for filtration.Tank is moderatly planted and has driftwood and rocks for hiding. Any insite or opinions on this would be awesome thanks!

Old 03-04-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would do one larger school. Fish would be happier that way. What about;

1x angel
8-10x harlequin rasbora (or a larger tetra instead)
2x bolivian rams, m/f
8-10x cories or 12x kuhli loaches (as long as you have sand)

Not sure honeys would do well with the angel..
Old 03-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do not like the concept of one centerpiece fish.Most all fish live in schools or shoals and are happier and healthier with more of their own kind. Skip the angelfish.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Okay so I'll skip the honeys, I've heard conflicting things about the angel in research that and the rams would go in the tank absolutly last so I'll look into it more in the meantime I like the idea of harlequins.. kuhli loaches are pretty cool in a school that size would the be decently active and if i did cories aside from sterbai which is next to impossible to find where I'm from is there any other that would be okay in that temp range?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Kuhliís are tank ninja. You wonít see them a lot. Cories will have more presence. Donít get me wrong I love my kuhlis, just wanted to let you know how they can be.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hmmmm okay is there any way I could do both but do like a school of pygmy cory???? I really like the way they school

Tags
36 gallon, 6 gallon, bowfront, gallon, question, questions, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com