40 Breeder Build (Includes DIY Stand and DIY Slate Background)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I figured with my project being a rather large one I would document it for all to see and for all to give their tips and input. This thread will start with the building of my stand. I have already been working on it for two days when I have time in the evenings. Followed by a DIY slate background for the aquarium. Finally, this thread will move to the part where the aquarium gets set up and the fishless cycle begins.

Lets get started with the supplies list.

Tank- Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder
Light- Current USA Nova Extreme T5HO 78 Watt
Filter- Fluval 305
Heater- Aqueon Pro 200 Watt
Substrate- PFS
Misc- Flourish Tabs, API Tap Water Conditioner, 2 Pieces of Driftwood
Plants- Tank will include some live plants, though I am currently unsure as to which type. (Should I wait until after the tank is cycled to add plants?)

Now on to the stand.
Stand is a 2x4 frame. Won't be real fancy just heavy duty. Here are some pics of it so far. The reason the sides come up higher is to hide the black trim piece on the bottom of the tank. The stand will be painted white.

Here are some pics of the stand. Thought they posted with the original.

Attachments

• Sides and Top on.jpg
    Sides and Top on.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 140
  • Almost Finished.jpg
    Almost Finished.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 134
I would add the plants when you set up the tank. they will probably have some of the bacterias on them and it will give you a jump start on the cycle.

Stand looks good.

I would add the plants when you set up the tank. they will probably have some of the bacterias on them and it will give you a jump start on the cycle.

Stand looks good.

Thanks for the help. I was not 100% sure, this is my first attempts at the plants.

Kudos on the stand. Looks great. Are you building a hood as well?

Thanks! Yes, I would love to build a hood as well. However, I am checking with the manufacture of the light to see if it is safe to run the Nova Extreme in a hood without running the risk of messing it up. Some of the lights I looked at said not recommended for use in a canopy. Thoughts on this?

If not good in a hood just fake it. just wrap the 2 sides and face and leave the top and back off. you can make it tall enough to hide the light fixture and have it sit on the rim of the tank.

That issue has to be about the lighting overheating. I agree with leaving as much open as possible. If it becomes too hot you could install fans or just ditch the hood. I like the look of a hood. It just looks complete if that makes sense.

update to come tommorrow. along with the first look at the diy slate background.

Not much of an update. Have not been feeling well but thought I would give a small update on the stand. Here are the most recent pics. Will update on the background if I feel better.

Attachments

• 2011-09-10_10-05-40_453.jpg
    2011-09-10_10-05-40_453.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 133
  • 2011-09-10_10-05-29_531.jpg
    2011-09-10_10-05-29_531.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 116
As far as plants go, it depends on how many/which ones. Some people say that heavily planted tanks don't even need properly cycled filters as the plants will suck up most of your ammonium. I would prefer my filters be nicely cycled, just in case.

IF it were me, I would add in the plants anyways AND continue to cycle your plant. Just make sure that you know that you're going to have to add more ammonia than you otherwise would, and once your BB are processing ammonium in a reasonable amount of time, give it another week to account for the plants. Reason being that I would want my plants to get good root structures before the fish start rooting around.

Especially if you're getting cories. Lil buggers like digging up new plants.

Back
Top Bottom