40 Breeder community suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toast

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I have been wanting to get back into the aquarium hobby for a while since I have become an adult. Today I bought a 40 breeder (36 3/16X18 1/4X16 15/16, LWH) that was on sale at Petco for $49. Originally I was going to get a 55 but I find the extra width to be superior to length and height of the 55.

As far as stocking it is concerned I have found some fish I believe will be good together but need opinions on amounts of fish, and some alge eating fish to compliment them. I do prefer fewer larger fish over many small ones however.

I am really interested in Electric blue Acara, Giant Danio, and maby blue Gourami.

The Acara and Giant Danio are my main focus, Gourami would be nice, but I run into the issue of I would like to have shrimp, but it seems as though the Acara and Gourami would eat them despite being more peaceful than the other family members. And in general the main algae eating shrimp seem to only get to 2 inches max, witch may be too small for the fish that im after.

I also need advice on cleaner fish to eat algae and such, Personally I prefer gravel over sand, but I would also like to have plants. I like panda garra, but they apparently like currents, witch im not sure the other fish would like.

Any advice you can give me is appreciated, I have no plan to set up this tank any time soon, as this was more of a purchase of opportunity.

The only real shrimp "safe" fish are algae eaters so maybe skip them.

Otocinclus are great algae eaters and spend the majority of their time on the glass.

For the rest you are going to have to check to see if they are compatible with each other.

Blue Acara get big - up to six inches. I have a 40 gallon with a dozen giant danios and they use the whole tank as they are active swimmers. I'd stick to the danios and maybe some bottom feeders.

Back
Top Bottom