40+ Days No Nitrites? - 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I've had a 10 Gallon set up for over 40 days with ammonia over 2ppm for at least 40 of those days (mostly hovering in the 2-4ppm) with 2 internal filters (cheap ones from petsmart). Ran it with fish for 30 days and took them out over a week ago. Stopped water changes after I took the fish out. Still waiting on Nitrites to show up. Anyone have any tips or ideas why I'm having trouble cultivating Nitrites?

10 Gallon
7.4 PH
77-80 Temp
Clarity - Clear
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0 (obviously)

I want to get this cycle going!

Liquid testing only. Over day 50 now, water has gotten cloudy so hopefully that's a sign that a bacteria bloom is going on!

Liquid testing only. Over day 50 now, water has gotten cloudy so hopefully that's a sign that a bacteria bloom is going on!

Something anyways :) progress!

Could be worth taking a sample to the lfs next time you are in and see if they will test for free. Just to check as it all sounds like it should of cycled.

Worth a try with bacteria in a bottle.

What do you have in the filters can I ask? Is the plenty of bio-media.

I will repeat a previous reply.
Generally the small internal filters for small tanks do not contain enough media to form an effective colony.
I have inserted the small filter into a larger piece of foam and the tank cycled much quicker and it now takes 4ppm ammonia down in 24hrs (nitrites too). I also helped kick start the filter with some media from another fully cycled tank ( if you can get some). I believe this works better than the bottled bacteria as it is already 'stuck' to the media.
I have a pic below to show you what I mean (sorry pic not too good but it gives the idea). Good luck.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399153233.936630.jpg

The tank finally cycled after 70 days! Wow that was a long time. Nitrites didn't show up until 50+ days. Now I feel much better

Back
Top Bottom