40 g suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just been given a 40g corner tank with. I plan on getting a Marineland Penguin 200 BIO-Wheel Power Filter

I am looking for suggestions for a nice looking tank. I plan on having a planted tank, but somewhere down the line.

My goal is to have a nice community tank, with a few larger fish as a focal point, and schools to fill in. I love angels, but after looking online it seems like my tank size only allows for 1.

If possible I would love a variety of fish. Any suggestions?
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=989754

Dwarf gouarumis. Schooling fish and cory cats. Then slme inverts!

40 gallons is a great size for a nice community. Here's a basic idea of stuff you could do (not necessarily all together):

2-3 schools of fish (cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, glow light tetras, lemon tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, Congo tetras, pentazona barbs, check barbs, praecox rainbows, threadfin rainbows, furcata rainbows, etc)

School of corydoras and/or any of the smaller loaches for the bottom

Pair of German blue rams or Apistogramma

Honey/dwarf/or pearl gourami

A few platies, mollies, or swordtails if you like livebearers

Group of otos

One smaller pleco (BN, rubberlip, etc)

What are the dimensions of the tank? Depending on what they are it could affect the amount of fish you can stock.

Rams and Appistos would be great centerpieces. Tetras are always great for schools

To best give you advice, we need to know what kind of fish you like. There are just so many out there that suggesting specific species would be pretty much futile.

I will say though, that I have had a good experience with bloodfin tetras.

To best give you advice, we need to know what kind of fish you like. There are just so many out there that suggesting specific species would be pretty much futile.

I will say though, that I have had a good experience with bloodfin tetras.

I mean no disrespect but the OP did state they were looking for a community tank with schooling fish and a few larger centerpieces. That's a pretty good starting base for recommendations particularly if he's going planted too. There are a lot of fish out there but no so much that it's futile to begin naming a few of the more common species he may have access to. Again, no disrespect. :)

If your tank is tall enough, you could actually keep a pair of angels successfully. Others may disagree, but I had healthy pair for 3 years. :) I love rummynose tetras, and congos do well in a 40. Diamond tetras are gorgeous is a group too. Just a couple ideas though :)

I agree. A pair of angelfish should be fine in a 40. Start with a group of juveniles and wait for a pair to form, then rehome the rest of them.

I mean no disrespect but the OP did state they were looking for a community tank with schooling fish and a few larger centerpieces. That's a pretty good starting base for recommendations particularly if he's going planted too. There are a lot of fish out there but no so much that it's futile to begin naming a few of the more common species he may have access to. Again, no disrespect. :)

Yeah, but that does leave a lot for interpretation. I think it's really a matter of opinion. :) For me, I can't really just say "I want some big fish and a few schools of smaller fish", or something like that. I need to think "I want some kind of cichlid, that is yellow and blue, bottom dwelling, and peaceful. And for schools, I want one school of partially black fish, and another of silver or red fish." Then I would get a german blue ram and a school of black neon tetras and bloodfin tetras.

I think it just depends on the person. No harm done! :D

Back
Top Bottom