40 gallon biotope build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is 10% going to be enough to get it cleaned up though do you think? There was honestly drifts of uneaten food. She's 72, so I'm not blaming her. I blame my idiot cousin who was living with her. He's also the one that bought the pleco. Apparently there was two of them originally. I set the tank up for her originally but had moved away for a while. Things went downhill in the years I was away.

I think 10% is enough to get the fish used to water changes, but not really to get it very well cleaned. Just a guess though.

That's what I was afraid of. Couldn't really think of a happy medium though so I went on the safe side. I think I had better take my test kit along next time and see just how bad things are. If it weren't for the corys I could just start from scratch for her.

Yeah, the test kit will tell you more. But, if the fish do not show signs of stress after the 10% pwc for awhile, I would recommend upping it like 15% and then 20%. I think slow and steady will be your best friend in this.

How long would you go in between PWCs? I had been doing every other day as I said, but I have no idea how long it takes for fish to adjust. For all I know I could go to once a day or even the occasionally morning/night.

In other news I had e-mailed that pet store about the leopard frogs to make sure they were in stock since I hadn't seen anything listed on their sites as out of stock and no changes in it either. That might have been a week/week and a half ago but I never received a reply. I might have to look for something else. I can find other small peckoltias on aquabid, like the yellow prince tiger L072, but they almost always seem to be auctions for three. The pet store I'm going to also has L183s and medusas in stock both of which I also like.

Personally I do my pwc once a week, but some people do it more if they have more stock. I don't really know it takes for them to adjust either, but I would think they would show signs of stress if they were not used to the pwc yet. So, if they are not showing signs of stress, then I would think it would be ok to start doing bigger changes less often.
The L183 is pretty cool. Are medusas the L034?

Good thinking. In my tank I do a couple a week since I do smaller ones. I probably change more water than I have to but that's to be on the safe side with the leaves.
Yeah they have the L034. Btw I just learned the other day that L182 and L183 are both called starlight bristlenoses. 6 inch difference though but at least I have a shot of telling them apart aside from that.

I'm thinking a couple of the L183s. If I have to I'm getting someone that works there to lift the dorsal fin so I can do some counting. They are nice looking and I should have enough space for that many *fingers crossed*. I just love the big head on the medusas for some reason lol.

Yeah, but the L183 have the pretty white tail stripe thing going on. They are pretty cool, despite the bristles. Lol. The medusas do look unique. I have never actually seen either of them in person though. The medusas look like little suctiony banjos. Lol.

They both look super cool in my opinion but then I'm not a bristlenose hater like you lol. The L183s are crazy cheap, although both are in my price range.

It took some effort but I managed to saw a flowerpot in roughly half. Definitely a hassle though lol. I have four more to try and break though. I forgot to ask do I have do any sort of prep for them or can they go right in?

Monday is fish day. It's like waiting for Christmas even though I already have fish. I was also the nosey type anyway as a kid and always found my presents early. In that spirit I've been checking out the fish store website. They have corys, plecos, and catfish under seperate sections. I had mostly been looking up plecos on there before but checked out the catfish section and...crap more options, most of them small and peaceful too. So now I'm in one of my I want all of them moods. I have to get over that by the time I hit the store.
Spotted Raphaels get a little bigger than I'd like. South American bumbleebees and portholes cats could work though. Did I mention the oil catfish? A catfish that feeds on the surface at night...now that's just cool.

Lol, yeah I am a bit of a bristle-nose hater. I had a albino one and I just kept hoping it would be a girl so I didn't have to look at the bristles. ;)
All I did for my plants was to rinse them off and it has always been fine.
You sawed a pot? Yeah, that sounds like a pain. Lol. I just ended up burying mine down in the gravel a bit.
I have never heard of oil catfish or porthole catfish, but that sounds cool! I shall google it.
Yeah, the Raphaels are cool, but I don't have a big enough tank either. I do love the SA Bumblebees. So cute! I looked into them awhile ago, but had a bit of hard time finding too much solid info. I found a lot of splintered experiences with them. In general though, people say they are fun and peaceful. :)

Thanks :) Flowerpots are rinsed off and now there are three half caves in there. I could add a full one but well I shattered them all lol. They look good in there, although I had a mess with crumbling leaves.
Didn't go for fishies today. I had mostly wanted to checkout the L183s, no surprise though that they're sold out. So I'm going to take a chance to research more and head there tomorrow.
I forgot to mention they have flagtail portholes and zamora woodcats as well. Not sure the zamoras could be trusted with my kitty tetras.
I'm really interested in the oil cats though. Found info on them on the net under honeycomb tatia and Perugia's woodcat. Basically I'm trying to figure out how many bottom dwellers I could have.

5 Sterba's Corys and that's it. There's plenty of room even if mine have tons of growing to do.

I think I'm going to hold off on the fish buying for a little while longer. Spent a long time researching catfish tonight, not that I haven't before. It's my favorite group of fish though and hard to narrow down. I now have a huge list, and that's not even listing corys indivdually. The two school of tetras and the corys I have should allow me plenty of room, so I'd be open to even multiple kinds of cats. I would like one that will eat some algae though. L numbers are proving elusive for me to find. Anyway I'm open to any and all thoughts from whoever feels like giving them.

Think I might have actually made up my mind...amazing lol. I'm going to contact a petstore tomorrow that has tank bred Sturisoma aureum and see if I can get some pics. Disagreement on the web about their size but I think I trust planetcatfish more than some of the other sites, especially since it seems like plenty of people there have bred them and would notice a big mistake. Anyway I was thinking maybe two of those and maybe four oil cats.

Those are great! :)
Yeah, in general I trust planetcatfish, even though they do seem to think my C. elegans should be swimming around mid-tank... But other than that, I think they are pretty good. Lots of breeders comment and give info there.
I am now totally a fan of the oil cats too. Soooooooooo cute.

Back
Top Bottom