40 gallon biotope build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You still have to show me where you found that info about them. I've only ever heard the same things as for the other two angel species...interspecies agressive, don't mix with gouramis or active fish. I actually heard to keep the Leopold's angels in a group.
I given serious thought to the angels just was weighing options as they are something I haven't kept. In truth, while I want a dwarf cichlid, actually a whole bunch of different ones, I'm not sure if I should just one. One of the best things about my tank is watching the male rosys displaying. One is clearly subordinate, but the other six seem to all think they are the big bad at times. Entertaining to watch. My worry is that I'd end up with them just shoaling if I added a cichlid. Hard for me to guess since I've only kept the corys before.
Speaking of corys...I saw the Wet Spot has tail spot corys...so tempting.

Ok. I will need to look up the convos (on other forums) I had with people who kept the Leopold's.
If you just add one dwarf cichild, I doubt it will make the rosy shoal too much. The cichlid would likely be too small to encourage much of a fear response. If you ended up with dueling dwarf cichlids, that could be a different story of course.

No need. I will take your word for it. Was just curious since if the stuff I had found was wrong then it could cast doubt on some of the stuff I had found on other species at the same sites.
It will only be one dwarf. I wish I had a way to take videos because it is really cool watching six rosys going at it at once. The female must be really popular lol.

The one bummer about getting just one dwarf is that picking just one out of all the cool ones is so hard! If you want just 1, I definitely think that any of the fish you have suggested would be wonderful.

I've named so many that I'm not even sure which ones you mean. The great thing is that a lot of them seem to enjoy moving eaves around to look for food and to hide. I'll add some more leaves and it will be perfect.

The humphead dwarf, golden dwarf, dwarf flag, dwarf striped, the Inca stone fish, or any apisto. I think that covers all the ones you were looking at....

You forgot the checkerboards and the fact that most of those I looked at just to drive you insane.

Yes, I did forget the checkerboards. I think they would work too. All of these dwarf cichlids have a mild temperament (especially for cichlids), so I do not think any one of them would upset your community at all. Of course, fish are individuals.
It only drives me crazy when I have too many choices, not when you have them. Lol.

I stopped saying fish are individuals. Just seems easier. Most of those are online and I don't want to order just one fish so they'd need a change in stocking.
Here's more options for you to try and get back at me. More corys, a dwarf cichlid, banjo cat, spotted raphael, zamora woodcat, oil cats. I will get even though. lol

I would think that leave room. I still think its best for you to see what the tank is like with the oil cats and then see about adding more. I very much do think it will be fine though with the oil cats and a dwarf cichlid too.

Should be ok. The oil cats won't even swim in the same area when they're out. Just a matter of bioload but I have a big filter and change water often.
5 corys ok? That was all they had at the time.

No, not when they are out. The only issue I could see is because the oil cat like caves and so do the dwarf cichlids.
Yeah, 5 corys are fine. If you want a few more, that would be fine. If you don't, the 5 you have are totally fine IMO.

I am going to see how the oil cats do first. I'm going to guess though that they won't even bother with the flowerpots, not when there's actual driftwood for them to hide amongst. I figured five corys would be enough but honestly you can never have too many not with all the different species.

I think I'm just going to go with corys after thinking about everything over and over. That's my choice for now. A slightly less common species, maybe even two if it seems like I have the room.

Back
Top Bottom