40 gallon planted tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a 40 gallon planted tank a couple months ago. I have taken it slow, so I only have 3 sidthimunki Botia loach, and 1 rubber lip pleco. It has hiding spots along with all the plants.
My question is; what fish do you recommend to complete this tank?

Have fun with this!!

P.S: water parameters to come later today

Hi! Yes just a few questions.
What are your parameters?
What fish do you like?
Are you experienced?

Samzter said:
What fish do you like?
Are you experienced?

I will have to look at specific parameters, give me a little

I want lots of small fish

I'm fairly experienced; I have had a lot of small freshwater aquariums, and a turtle. But I don't want anything too hard to keep

I'm very little experienced on your loaches so can't help there but as for stocking I would add:
8 cherry barbs
Angelfish
And another school of tetra (lemon or glow light)
Maybe some Cories .

Samzter said:
I'm very little experienced on your loaches so can't help there but as for stocking I would add:
8 cherry barbs
Angelfish
And another school of tetra (lemon or glow light)
Maybe some Cories .

Do you mean 2 schools in the same tank? What angelfish stay small?

40galreef said:
Do you mean 2 schools in the same tank? What angelfish stay small?

Yes two schools would do great in your tank! You might be able to do 2 angelfish, but personally I love german blue rams.

Samzter said:
Yes two schools would do great in your tank! You might be able to do 2 angelfish, but personally I love german blue rams.

Thanks!

Samzter said:
What fish do you like?
Are you experienced?

Here they are:

Ammonia=0
Nitrate=0
Nitrite=0
Ph=7.2
Hardness=150
Chlorine=0
Alkalinity=40

40galreef said:
Temperament ?

I have a pair and they're not aggressive . If you do end up getting a pair then chances are they'll breed.they will defend a small territory and the eggs and fry. I wouldn't keep them with long finned fish but I have successfully kept mine with guppies.

I have a pair and they're not aggressive . If you do end up getting a pair then chances are they'll breed.they will defend a small territory and the eggs and fry. I wouldn't keep them with long finned fish but I have successfully kept mine with guppies.

Barbs? Will they do fine with the rams? Would you limit my options to that species, or are there other rams that would do good? Aren't they kinda hard to keep? Ph isn't an issue?

40galreef said:
Barbs? Will they do fine with the rams? Would you limit my options to that species, or are there other rams that would do good? Aren't they kinda hard to keep? Ph isn't an issue?

Mine are kept at pH 7.6 and I don't have problems. Then the other levels are: Ammonia : 0ppm nitrite:0ppm nitrate:5ppm

Back
Top Bottom