40 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madchild24

Aquarium Advice Activist
im thining of buying a 40 gallon tank.
what kind of equipment should i have?
if u can post brand/model/cost it would be great

Im am unsure of exactly the brands of equipment as they are different in australia but I can tell you the equipment you will need.

~get a glass tank. If you are on a budget get a second-hand tank, this will often come with stand and even additional equipment.
~ a stand to support the tank.
~ a sheet of foam to put underneath the tank to help level it. a glass tank must be level or it will crack.
~a cover or hood for your tank. covers can be plastic, mesh or glass. Hood are lids that house lights, possibly filter.
~a 150W Heater. A completely submersible one is best. Aqua-One is pretty cost effective
~a form of filtration. If you can afford it get a canister filter.
~Lighting, wattage depends on if you want live plants or fake plants. At least 40W lighting for live plants.
~a form of aeration, to provide oxygen for fish. You could use an airpump with airstone, or use a powerhead sponge filter. Unless you want fish needing little current, I would personally go for the powerhead filter, because it aerates and filters at the same time.
~substrate: gravel or sand
~net, to capture fish
~water changer: either python, gravel vaccuum or tube and bucket. Personally i pick python and gravel vacuum

I think i've covered the basics.
Also,
:Fade-color :rainbow1: :bday: :wave: :dope: :smilecolros: :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :D WELCOME TO AQUARIUM ADVICE!!! :Fade-color :rainbow1: :bday: :wave: :dope: :smilecolros: :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire: :D

oh yes dont forget to cycle it ... and then get the fish.. do you have some in mind??

40 gallon with stuff new areound here
all glass about 400.00
oceanic about 500.00

megladonsharky said:
oh yes dont forget to cycle it ... and then get the fish.. do you have some in mind??

40 gallon with stuff new areound here
all glass about 400.00
oceanic about 500.00

thanks!! ya i thinking about all glass and i got the fish that are goin in it already.
(in 4 10 gallons)

what website could i find a canister filter on?

FF, I've never used foam for any of my tanks either. And my 55 gallon isn't sitting completely level. It worries me, but it's not like I can move it or anything. :roll:

What would have to come with the tank for it to cost $400? I got my 55 gallon, lights, hood, and stand for about $300.

Welcome to AA and good luck with your new setup! :D

My tanks aren't completly level beacuse the houses foundation isn't level. The landlord was too anxious to build the buildings and really didn't wait for the ground to settle much before building. It's weird because the water line on the right side of the 150 is about an inch higher than the left side.

AA is glad to be there for you.

Now you must keep us updated, tell us about your fish and if possible we would be really delighted to see some piccys posted. :D:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom