40 Gallon tank stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt0210

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got myself a 40 gallon 36x15x16 tank with a list of fish I want to keep. I just need advice on whether or not I would be overstocked or some fish won’t get along with others. Thanks!

1 electric blue acara
1 gourami
1 dwarf gourami
1 rainbow shark
1 angel fish
3 boesemani rainbow fish
5 Cory catfish
3 mystery snails

You would be very overstocked with all that.

Which one of those fish do you really want?

If your just starting out, I'd pick one or two schooling fish and keep it simple.

You would be very overstocked with all that.

Which one of those fish do you really want?

If your just starting out, I'd pick one or two schooling fish and keep it simple.

Yea I figured. I have had fish before, but this is my biggest tank to date so i wanted to do it right. I wanted some variety within the tank. Would it make a difference if I removed the angel fish and rainbow shark?

I really want an acara in there with some other fun fish.

I got myself a 40 gallon 36x15x16 tank with a list of fish I want to keep. I just need advice on whether or not I would be overstocked or some fish won’t get along with others. Thanks!

1 electric blue acara
1 gourami
1 dwarf gourami
1 rainbow shark
1 angel fish
3 boesemani rainbow fish
5 Cory catfish
3 mystery snails

Cut a couple of big fish off your list, I'd stick with the angelfish.

Acaras are chiclids, so you could do some colorful dwarf chiclids. Though you'd have to research which will get along.

My concern with your list is not just size, but most the fish on it are semi aggressive. You might not have problems early on, but they could develop as fish mature. You would just have to be prepared for that.

Personally, I'd do a few angels and the cory's, but I've had those before and know what to expect.

Acaras are chiclids, so you could do some colorful dwarf chiclids. Though you'd have to research which will get along.

My concern with your list is not just size, but most the fish on it are semi aggressive. You might not have problems early on, but they could develop as fish mature. You would just have to be prepared for that.

Personally, I'd do a few angels and the cory's, but I've had those before and know what to expect.

Would replacing the acara with 2 bolivian rams and removing the rainbow shark completely be better?

Scratch what I said above. This is my revised list.
2 Gourami (maybe one of then will be dwarf)

5 cory catfish

3 mystery snails

3 Boesemani Rainbow fish

1 angel fish

Both Angels and Rainbows do much better in groups. At least two angels and at least six rainbows. Fish are much happier if they have others of their own species in the tank with them.

I agree with rlederer.

My experience with rainbows is more are better.

I would do 6 rainbows and the cory's. Leave the rest out. You'll still have a very colorful tank when rainbows mature.

I totally agree with the others. Having a single fish of many different species is not good for the fish and will not let you see their natural Scocial behaviours. Plus...it rarely looks good.

Don't house Angels and Gourams together. Angels, guarams, and rainbow fish should be in groups, A minimum of a 60 gallon for rainbow fish, and Pecos shouldn't be in anything less then a 100 gallon. 5 plecos are WAY WAY WAY overstalked. Plecos can get like 3ft long! They do best in a big pond in a warmer inviornent that keeps the water over 65F with maybe some koi. I know a lot of people keep them in a tiny tank but just no.. Its not humane for the fish. I mean when they are little babies to they can be in a 20 gallon or so but they will need to upgrade. They also do better in colder water. I wouldn't house them with something like angels. Maybe like 5 or 6 Angel fish, some mystery snails, and some Cory catfish. Or 6-7 guarmies (or like 9 dwarf guarmies) some mystery snails and Cory cats. Corry cats come in many colors (can only be kept in schools of 6 or more of the same color and not 6 different colors)

Thanks for all the help and advice guys I decided to go with
1 angel fish
1 honey gourami
1 pearl gourami
6 cories
I did more research and have seen videos of angel fish with these specific gourami species and they same to get along just fine. So far so good in my tank also - I have not seen any aggression.

I was planning to maybe get another gourami maybe pearl so mine had a friend? Or another angel so the angel had company. Haven’t decided yet.

Back
Top Bottom