40g breeder what all to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badambomb79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I bought a 40g breeder at petco with the 1$ per gallon sale. First I would like a list of things I need to start up I'm sure a filter and heater and light but more specifics options would be appreciated.
2 nd I would like a stock list I want pretty freshwater fish that willed able to live there lives in a 40g
Thanks in advance

I have a 40 breeder, too, it's a great tank.
Lighting will depend on whether you just want to see the fish or if you're going to attempt to grow live plants. If you just want to see the fish, most any light fixture would do, like something like this: Fluorescent Strip Light - Black - 36" You would also need a lid, like this: Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: Aqueon Versa-Tops If you want to grow live plants, you'd need to figure out what kind of plants you want (low-medium-high light) and get the appropriate lighting fixture (as well as Co2, ferts, etc if you're getting into higher light).

For a filter, I'd suggest a canister. I have an Eheim 2215 on mine and it does its job well. Fluval makes pretty good canisters too.

For a heater, I'd suggest an adjustable one, that way you can control the temp. I use an Aqueon heater, never had an issue with it. You should also get an in-tank thermometer, like this, to double-check the temp: Floating Glass Thermometer

For substrate, you can decide between sand and gravel. I like sand better as it looks more natural but it's up to you. If you're planning to have bottom dwelling fish like corys or a pleco then they would prefer sand.

Is this your first tank? If so you might want to read up on cycling. This guide should help:Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

For fish you have a lot of options; are there any fish you're particularly interested in?

I'm really up in the air on fish I just want colorful fish that can live in a 40g I live the look of discus but I've done zero research on them haha.

I'm really up in the air on fish I just want colorful fish that can live in a 40g I live the look of discus but I've done zero research on them haha.

Hey there,

Discus are awesome fish, they have great coloring and great variety. I believe they are a bit more difficult to care for than other fish, however (I have never kept them before though).

Have you looked into Cory Catfish? If asked, I wouldn't say they are a super colorful species, but their cuteness and looks make up for it. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom