Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

45 Gallon Tank Stocking

Hi everyone, haven't had a fishtank in a while and I'm just getting into the brainstorming process again. The dimensions of my tank are 48x12x18H, and the first fish that caught my eye was the Red Lizard Whiptail Plecostomus. I've been trying to do some research on them but I haven't had much luck, I'm curious if you can/should keep multiple of these, or if my tanks footprint is even big enough for one?

Old 01-19-2021, 04:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read that it's only 4" max and good for your size tank. It can be kept individually or in a small group. Like most pleco, it's pretty peaceful and best of kept in a peaceful community tank. Cool looking fish

Old 01-19-2021, 04:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/rineloricaria-sp/
Old 01-19-2021, 05:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you! I'll definitely grab a couple of those then. I'm planning to go with a planted tank. This is so far my plan to stock:

12 Ember Tetras
12 Celebes Rainbowfish
2 Red Lizard Whiptails

I was looking around for possibly a few bigger fish, but nothing caught my eye, and I think the schools will be enough with all the plants. Any suggestions though and I'll be happy to hear them.

Let me know your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AquStockImage.png
Views:	9
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	319387  
Old 01-19-2021, 05:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess it depends on your biological filtration. A regular gourami (not a dwarf) makes a good center piece fish. Just for comparison sake, a 6" fish requires 4 times more biological filtration than a 4" fish. Not that you were getting a 6" fish, but just showing you how rapidly bigger fish use up your media capabilities
Old 01-20-2021, 12:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I read some places that gouramis are semi-aggressive, if I were to get one of them it would most likely be a gold gourami. I know sometimes it can depend on the fish, but would that get along with everything else in my tank? I have quite a few filters to pick from and always do weekly water changes, so I think the load will be fine. But, I could always lower each of the schools by a couple if not, or go with one whiptail!
Old 01-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess some gourami can be bossy, but I have 2 65g's which are the exact same as a 45g just a little wider/ thicker and both have small community fish in them. Each one has a centerpiece opeline gourami in it and they just hang out at the top area, chilling. And don't bother anyone. So, who knows, like you said all are different, but my 2 are very calm. One is a female and the other male. Male gourami don't like each other much. They are cousins to the betta
Old 01-20-2021, 05:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The gold gourami is a color version of the 3 spot, same as the opaline i have
Old 01-20-2021, 05:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

A Bolivian ram, an apistograma or an angel fish could work too
Old 01-20-2021, 05:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nm on the angel, I didn't realize the ember were so small. They might just wind up as a midnight snack
Old 01-20-2021, 05:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

The gold gourami sounds amazing actually, I was looking at them but saw the semi-aggressive tag and steered clear. Might just have to try that one out! Thanks for all the help with this
Old 01-20-2021, 05:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yw! And good luck

Tags
45 gallon, celebes rainbowfish, centerpiece, ember tetra, plecostomus, rainbowfish, red lizard whiptail, stock, stocking, tank, tetra, whiptail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com