45 Gallon Tank Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QueenKiara

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone, haven't had a fishtank in a while and I'm just getting into the brainstorming process again. The dimensions of my tank are 48x12x18H, and the first fish that caught my eye was the Red Lizard Whiptail Plecostomus. I've been trying to do some research on them but I haven't had much luck, I'm curious if you can/should keep multiple of these, or if my tanks footprint is even big enough for one?

I read that it's only 4" max and good for your size tank. It can be kept individually or in a small group. Like most pleco, it's pretty peaceful and best of kept in a peaceful community tank. Cool looking fish

Thank you! I'll definitely grab a couple of those then. I'm planning to go with a planted tank. This is so far my plan to stock:

12 Ember Tetras
12 Celebes Rainbowfish
2 Red Lizard Whiptails

I was looking around for possibly a few bigger fish, but nothing caught my eye, and I think the schools will be enough with all the plants. Any suggestions though and I'll be happy to hear them.

Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• AquStockImage.png
    AquStockImage.png
    19 KB · Views: 24
I guess it depends on your biological filtration. A regular gourami (not a dwarf) makes a good center piece fish. Just for comparison sake, a 6" fish requires 4 times more biological filtration than a 4" fish. Not that you were getting a 6" fish, but just showing you how rapidly bigger fish use up your media capabilities

I read some places that gouramis are semi-aggressive, if I were to get one of them it would most likely be a gold gourami. I know sometimes it can depend on the fish, but would that get along with everything else in my tank? I have quite a few filters to pick from and always do weekly water changes, so I think the load will be fine. But, I could always lower each of the schools by a couple if not, or go with one whiptail!

I guess some gourami can be bossy, but I have 2 65g's which are the exact same as a 45g just a little wider/ thicker and both have small community fish in them. Each one has a centerpiece opeline gourami in it and they just hang out at the top area, chilling. And don't bother anyone. So, who knows, like you said all are different, but my 2 are very calm. One is a female and the other male. Male gourami don't like each other much. They are cousins to the betta

The gold gourami sounds amazing actually, I was looking at them but saw the semi-aggressive tag and steered clear. Might just have to try that one out! Thanks for all the help with this

Back
Top Bottom